Flow issues with outside faucet

Old 06-11-16, 05:07 PM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Flow issues with outside faucet

Name:  143_1070.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  39.2 KB

My utility sink and outside faucet are fed by the same pipe, both have the same size pipes.

There is a gigantic difference in yield though. My utility sink is running at more than 9.5 gallons per minute, while the outside faucet is dribbling by at barely 2.5 gallons per minute.

I've examined the outside faucet and there are no blockages. Taking the faucet apart has no change on the yield.

Any thoughts on what the issue may be? If so, is it an easy fix or would it be better left to a licensed plumber?

My thought is that the valve is not opening fully. If that sounds right to you, is it a part that can be changed out without removing the entire pipe?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide!

Old 06-11-16, 05:46 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Has it always been this way or is it a new issue?

If it's always been this way, I would suspect that the ball valve is not a full flow type valve, meaning the internal passage in the valve is smaller than the pipe size. There's no real way to know for sure without cutting it out. It's also possible the outside faucet is limiting the flow even though it's not plugged up.

Unlikely that the valve isn't opening all the way. In any case, there's no way to fix it short of replacement.

Figuring out the exact cause is probably going to require cutting the pipe and testing flow after the valve. If it's ok there, then I'd test flow before the valve by cutting the valve out.

Working with CPVC is fairly easy; if you want to try going further, we can guide you through it.

Old 06-11-16, 05:57 PM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is a new issue. It started towards the end of last summer.

I have no issue hacking the pipe if it will help get the issue taken care of.

Old 06-11-16, 07:30 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Faucets are often designed like a stop valve, where even when the valve is fully open, there's still a significant blockage in the path of the water. You do mention that it's a new issue, so it's likely not that.

The only other option I can see is if the PVC valve has an issue with it. A lot of people despise PVC valves, so it may be worth replacing it with a brass ball valve.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: