NPT Pipe options for Rough-in shower valve

Old 06-21-16, 09:00 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
NPT Pipe options for Rough-in shower valve

Apologies if this is a newb question but I'm still learning US fittings...
I have a rough-in valve from Kohler (K304) to fit.
I got the one with NPT threads to give me some options, but I'm still a bit stuck as to what to chose without having to learn to solder...

I was going to use R/A Sharkbites on there, but the pipes will need to exit parallel to the tub outlet, and with teflon tape the fitting does not to up really tight. If I tighten it harder the exit pipe comes out at a wacky angle.
Will that leak if I don't tighten it fully? I can use pipe-ope and/or tape?

What other options are there. Can you get screw on brass fittings with compression to copper?

ThanksName:  valve.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  25.7 KB

Old 06-21-16, 01:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you are doing new piping I would consider pex and use their crimping system. You already found out the $8 Sharkbite is expensive Rather than using teflon tape, consider using Rectorseal T plus 2. It is teflon based but you will have fewer leaks with it.

Old 06-21-16, 03:35 PM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
I’m no expert for sure. But are you saying you are trying to do Step 4 as depicted on page 9 of the referenced document - but when you tighten the Sharkbite elbows in tight to the valve, you then can’t connect the vertical copper supply pipes (as in the diagram 4 on page 9) into the Sharkbite elbows because they won’t line up?

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/114811_2.pdf

Did you trace the supply pipes back through the floor? There might be pipe straps or something you could remove to give you a little play in the pipes.

I cheat a little sometimes and add a little extra tape if I want something to tighten up sooner. I don’t know whether the plumbers would approve of that, but I’ve done it without leaks.

(I also use the trick many plumbers use – pipe dope over the tape. Works for me, no drips.)

Old 06-21-16, 04:04 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes this is to get the hot and cold into the valve, so Step 9.

If I use this NPT to R/A sharkbite fitting and I tighten it up by hand fully the pipe is at a wacky angle. I did think about using lots of tape and/or dope to make it tighten "earlier".

I'm not sure if that's an approved method either!

Old 06-21-16, 05:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You don't tighten only hand tight. You must use a wrench to complete it. That may give you the angle you want. If it doesn't, then use a straight sharkbite/ipf, add a length of pipe and use a double sharkbite elbow to make it perfect.

Old 06-22-16, 10:12 AM
Z
Received 124 Upvotes on 115 Posts
Why don’t you just open the holes a little more where the supply pipes enter the wall to create the alignment needed?

p.s. just saw this link, and Lawrosa is a real plumber!

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pl...-fittings.html

Last edited by zoesdad; 06-22-16 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added p.s.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: