Gas meter connection and pressure

Old 07-13-16, 05:13 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas meter connection and pressure

I am wondering how to connect the gas line from the house to the meter. Is there a special fitting? I am looking at increasing the pipe from the meter to the house from 3/4" to one inch to accommodate some new appliances that require one inch. Also, will my current meter be sufficient? thanks

Name:  gas meter 2.jpg
Views: 2942
Size:  42.5 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 07-13-16 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Cropped white space and enlarged inage.
Old 07-13-16, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Easiest will be to change the elbow that turns to the home to a 1 x 3/4 ellbow. Then run 1" into the home accordingly.

Dont know the CF of your meter and your btu load in the home to guide you.. Just call gas company...

I do this for a living...I install whole hose generators...

Also IMO best to leave a tee outside with a cap for future expansion for gen, or pool heater possibly.. Grill or fire pit...?

Name:  IMG_0255.jpg
Views: 5225
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0290.jpg
Views: 2869
Size:  26.5 KB

Old 07-13-16, 09:52 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The line coming out of the meter towards the house is a 1" nipple -> 1"x3/4" elbow -> 3/4" pipe in the rest of the house -> 1/2" to each appliance.

lawrosa, do you mean the line can be 3/4" out of the meter and upsize to 1" down the line? Wouldn't the line need to be 1" straight out of the meter? I'm a little confused on how gas pressure works. For example the 3/4" that comes out of the ground and feeds the meter--shouldn't that be bigger than what goes into the house? similar to water supply lines getting smaller the closer you get to each fixture.

Old 07-14-16, 12:10 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
For example the 3/4" that comes out of the ground and feeds the meter--shouldn't that be bigger than what goes into the house?
Not necessarily. The supply is at a significantly higher pressure, which is reduced by the pressure regulator immediately before the meter inlet. Depending on the supply pressure (most likely somewhere between 2 and 25 psi) that 3/4 inch incoming pipe may be able to supply ten times the amount of gas your house requires.

If you currently have a reducing elbow simply swap it for a regular 1-inch elbow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: