How to clean outside of underground pipe for fernco?

Old 07-14-16, 08:22 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to clean outside of underground pipe for fernco?

I just got done digging up my basement to replace al the old cast pipe due to major blockage and weak spots. the sewer main has major buildup on the exterior of the pipe and I was wondering what is the best way to get the buildup off for a mechanical connector? The entire pipe was very weak so I have to be careful on how I go about this and it also has minimal clearance on the bottom because of the drain tile. This isn't my first time doing these kind of repairs but with how weak the rest of the pipe was and the extreme buildup I am a little unsure on the best way to go about getting it clean.

Joe

Old 07-14-16, 08:30 PM
J
Received 108 Votes on 95 Posts
Why would you be trying to clean a pipe if it's in that bad a condition?
Why not just replace it all now with PVC?
Your just going to have to go back and replace it at some point.

Old 07-14-16, 09:31 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am replacing it all with pvc but I need to tie it in where it enters the house. The condition is not terrible there but there is a lot of buildup on the exterior of the pipe which is what I am referring to.

Old 07-15-16, 04:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
I use a grinder with a wire wheel attached but you can also use a wire brush. The exterior of cast iron pipe is never smooth and perfect but Fernco's seem to have a magical ability to not leak even when clamped over dirty and uneven pipe so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Also note that many areas require a shielded coupling that has a stainless steel sheath around the outside instead of a plain Fernco (rubber boot). My inspectors are lenient/like the standard Fernco couplings and allow them but check with your's to make sure it will be OK or use the shielded type.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: