Question on replacing a trap

Old 07-25-16, 07:36 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question on replacing a trap

Hi,
I'm remodeling my bathroom and replacing the faucet valves and trap with newer/nicer ones. My question is on the trap. Check out the photos below. How do I remove this trap so I can install a new one? Does it appear to be threaded, or a slip fit? I don't want to force it or screw with it until I know how it is attached. Thanks.

Name:  IMG_5007.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  32.5 KBName:  IMG_5006.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  34.9 KB

Old 07-25-16, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I think its a compression fitting... Chip a little of the joint compound away from it... those are usually a nut.

Old 07-26-16, 05:03 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Your missing the nut and sealing flat washer that screws on to the old steel nipple coming out of the wall, someone just "glued" it in place some how.
Always fun to try and get one out done like that.
Often crushing it with a pair of channel locks to break the bond and making the pipe smaller is the only way to get it out.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bath...jeNHKpBZY1M%3A
That nipple should have stuck out of the wall by at least 1/2" minimum.
Cut out the drywall around that pipe, clean up the threads with a wire brush that looks like a tooth brush and go buy the needed nut and washer.

Old 07-26-16, 06:18 AM
As Joe said, this needs cleaned up, and badly. It's basically like a modern trap adapter for tubular fittings, it uses a beveled nylon or rubber (compression) washer and nut.
The old trap arm is thin brass, so you can bend and break it and pry it out with a screwdriver.

You will be lucky if you can clean up enough threads to screw a brass nut and washer on. I would use penetrating oil and a drill with a wire wheel and go at it aggressively.

Old 07-26-16, 09:18 AM
L
Thanks guys. Big help. There is no end to the half-a**ed work the prior owner did. And he is an architect...

Anyway, so I understand, work the trap arm out, possibly by crushing it. It looks like there is about 1/4" of thread protruding out of the wall. I can clean it up as well as I can. Will that be enough for the brass nut and washer? Otherwise how would you approach it?

Old 07-26-16, 12:44 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
1/4" is not going to be enough thread.
As mention a few times whatever that stuff is around that pipe needs to go.
The washer that's used when there's just a nipple sticking out of the wall is not tapered, it's a flat rubber washer shown in the picture on the web site I posted.
Another way is to use a PVC 1-1/2 Female pipe thread X 1-1/4 slip trap adapter.
It would look something like this, but with female threads.
http://www.supply.com/shop?nid=48741...INAaAiQ_8P8HAQ

Old 07-29-16, 11:34 AM
L
More info

I chipped it away and cleaned it up (see photo). Am I right that the piece that the trap is inserted into is probably threaded on to the drain pipe? I tried to unscrew it but didn't want to apply too much force. It's all stuck together pretty well. An additional advice on what I have here and the best way to approach it is appreciated. Thanks again.Name:  IMG_5009.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  40.3 KB

Old 07-29-16, 02:05 PM
IMO the only way to fix this is to open up the wall and replace the tee.
Once the wall is open, you will cut the upper and lower pipes somewhere around the black lines in the picture.

The old tee can be replaced using a new ABS tee, short sections of pipe, and no-hub couplers.

The drain will work much better and any kind of slow draining or back up should go away permanently.

There are many here that can help you with the details if you want to open the wall up.

Name:  IMG_5007.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  37.5 KB

Last edited by Handyone; 07-29-16 at 03:03 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: