Vents and Stubs in basement bathroom

Old 08-01-16, 11:38 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vents and Stubs in basement bathroom

Hello Everyone,

I am planning on finishing my basement bathroom (with a plumber to do the initial rough-in). Our house was built about 5 years ago and there are rough-ins in the basement but I can't figure out if the plumber did the venting or not for the toilet,sink and tub. I am attaching a picture.

I am fairly certain that the broken concrete in the far left is the attachment for the tub, the next 4 " stub going clockwise is the toilet and the next one is the sink. I am not sure if the one on the left is a stub for a wet bar sink that we asked for or a vent for all three (toilet, sink and tub) that I need to connect to the main vent stack

I called a plumber in and he wasn't much help. Thanks for any thoughtsName:  bathroom stubs.jpg
Views: 6397
Size:  29.1 KB

Old 08-03-16, 12:05 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 176 Votes on 157 Posts
Are both smaller pipes 2" pipes? Usually there would be one 2" pipe coming up that would function as the sink drain and the vent for the whole bathroom.

I'm not sure - though others here may have a better guess! Stay tuned...

Old 08-03-16, 01:05 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
My uninformed guess would be the one you marked "sink" is the vent but what I don't understand is the pipe coming up at 45 a foot from the wall. How the heck do you build a bathroom around that? It would though appear to be off the main 4" pipe which goes to the toilet which is why I say vent.

Old 08-04-16, 10:31 PM
A
Thanks for the replies. I called the city inspector in and he did find a vent line stubbed in the ceiling. Based on that, he guessed that the angled pipe is the vent for the toilet. and the other 2" is the vent for the shower.

The angle is a pain. I will have to put a sink cabinet there to cover it up

Old 08-04-16, 10:45 PM
I will have to put a sink cabinet there to cover it up
I'd say you need to rent an electric pavement breaker ( jack hammer) and buy a diamond blade for your circular saw.

Old 08-04-16, 10:50 PM
A
I am guessing you are suggesting breaking the concrete and replumbing ?

Old 08-04-16, 11:36 PM
Good guess unless you can get the idiot who did it to correct his mistake on his dime.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: