Plumbing vent through wall?

Old 09-02-16, 03:54 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Plumbing vent through wall?

A good friend has become disabled to the point where he and his wife are having a very difficult time getting down the basement stairs to the laundry room, so I'm looking at the possibility of a stackable washer/dryer on the main level with a standpipe drain.

My question is the vent for the stack. Is it permissible to run the vent up to the ceiling and then through the outside wall? I've thought about an air admittance valve, but not sure how much I trust that; I like something a little more dummy-proof. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-16, 05:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 622 Votes on 575 Posts
Yes, a vent can be run like you mention. It's commonly done around here to add vents to old houses that did not have a modern/proper vent system. To do it properly you need to run the outside portion in accordance with code. Your codes may say that the vent cannot be located directly below a door, window or other opening into the home. The vent can also not be within 10' laterally of an opening unless the vent is located at least 2' above that opening. This .pdf has some guidlines on venting that might be helpful.

Old 09-02-16, 06:11 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
PERFECT! That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you. And the .pdf is especially helpful.