connecting black pipe

Old 09-12-16, 08:08 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
connecting black pipe

ok I realize this is non conventional use of pipe- but I need to ask someone who knows.... We are using black iron pipe to build a giant "frame" to hang a large sign (10' x 15')- yes we know it's a large "sail" - My question is- when we build this frame (we built a prototype already)- it hold the sign fine and stays up with a long base- My question is- is there any way to hold the black pipe at the joints firm so they don't break off? for example- We have a 10' run of black pipe that connects to an elbow (this is 3/4" pipe)- So in essence you have a long run connected by like just the thread- I am concerned it will weaken at the joint- any suggestions?

Old 09-12-16, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,627 Upvotes on 3,251 Posts
I know black pipe and you are nowhere near large enough in diameter with 3/4".

What is the sign made of and how heavy is it ?

Name:  sign.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  10.1 KB
Something like this ?

Last edited by PJmax; 09-12-16 at 09:37 AM. Reason: updated pic
Old 09-12-16, 09:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,953 Upvotes on 1,749 Posts
Yea, 3/4" black pipe is going to need bracing or some other type of support. It will handle the straight down load of the weight but any side load from wind will likely rip the pipe apart where it meets the fitting. If you've just "gotta" use that small black pipe I would do diagonal cable or rigid bracing to protect the pipe from side loads.

Old 09-12-16, 09:28 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
yes kind of like that drawing except we made a cross piece at bottom (to make a square)- The sign is light vinyl and not that heavy at all (But as you can imagine- the wind will put stress on frame)- We added cross braces (45 deg) to each vertical which helps. If we make it bigger than 3/4- it will be too heavy. I'm not sure there is much we can do......

Old 09-12-16, 10:14 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 400 Upvotes on 356 Posts
in my personal opinion, I think your design should be reasonable. Most of the stress isn't on the threaded joints now that you've added braces. Couple that with 3/4" steel pipe being pretty darned strong to begin with, I think you should be fine.

I wouldn't expect it to stand up to hurricane force winds, and I'd be more concerned with anchoring it to the ground to prevent the whole contraption from tipping over. But in reasonable use, it seems doable.

Old 09-12-16, 10:57 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
It's not a direct answer to your questions, and may not be an answer at all, but google Kee Klamp.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: