Can rehau fittings be used with any PEX pipe?

Old 10-04-16, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Can rehau fittings be used with any PEX pipe?

We are running about 1200' of PEX underground to a barn from an exterior hydrant at the house. After some research, it looks like the rehau fittings are the most reliable, however, it appears rehau pipe is way more expensive than other brands of PEX. Can the rehau fittings be used with any brand or is there something proprietary about the piping from rehau?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-16, 02:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Why are you running expensive products like PEX underground? It would be far more advantageous and less expensive to run black pvc, using barbed fittings where needed. Once in the barn, you can use the PEX to run whatever you need for sinks, etc. The fittings you refer to are from Australia and would be more expensive here in North America. I do not know about the retrofitting between brands. Not sure why you would do that.

Old 10-04-16, 02:38 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Agree with Larry that you would be better off using Poly pipe (the type often used for well service underground). I think it's actually polyethylene not PVC, however.

But to answer your question, the Rehau fittings can be used with Wirsbro/uphonor PEX as it is also an expansion system, but not other brands of PEX. Uphonor PEX is also quite a bit more expensive than the "bargain" brands.

Here is an application note from Rehau giving the particulars:

https://www.rehau.com/download/86897...-pex-pipes.pdf

Old 10-07-16, 12:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Everyone I talked to around here said we should run PEX underground because of the ease of installation. I was asking about using the rehau fittings because of a you tube video that showed they were the best connections when using PEX. Since I don't want to have to deal with a line that has disconnected underground in 5-10 years, I figured it was better to spend the extra money now with the better fittings.

To be clear, I am not a plumber and have very basic understanding of plumbing. Trying to learn now that we are on a farm and we are better off doing a lot of the work ourselves. We have been quoted $3500 on average for this project, and we can get the materials for about $1000. Figured we could save ourselves the money by doing this ourselves.

Are there drawbacks to running the black pipe like you are talking about?

Old 10-07-16, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 178 Posts
I will use PEX underground for small lawn irrigation projects. If trying to go long distance from point s A to B then black poly would be the way I'd do it. It's available in different wall thicknesses so if you're concerned about longevity go for a pipe with a higher psi rating. I normally use 160 psi for water supply lines to homes but 200 and 250 psi are also comonly available. The big box home centers might not stock the 200 and 250 but they are available and often used for geothermal heating systems.

Old 10-07-16, 05:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The black pipe we referred to has been in the ground in many farms for decades with little or no problems. It was an industry standard, and can still save you a ton of money. I run PEX almost exclusively where not prohibited, but would run the black pipe for long runs any day for the cost factor alone.

Old 10-10-16, 12:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I'll agree with the others, black PE (Polyethylene) pipe is the way to go. Like Pilot Dane suggested, go with the 160psi version. And make sure it has the NSF logo on it. Some irrigation pipe isn't NSF approved for potable water.

It comes in large rolls (I've seen it in 500' rolls, but you can probably get 1000' spool at a plumbing supply place) meaning no intermediate connections necessary!