Installing bathroom sink faucet and drain

Old 10-18-16, 06:49 PM
Installing bathroom sink faucet and drain

I need to install a delta everly faucet and drain. It has the supply lines built into the handles. When I hook the supply lines up to the shutoff valves, do I use teflon tape?

I was thinking of buying this p-trap kit as well.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-Mfg-Co...P-Trap/1071571

Is this all I'll need? If so does this simply screw together or is any primer and cement needed? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-16, 06:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As long as the faucet kit came with a tailpiece, which they usually do, the kit you refer to should be fine. No primer, no cement, all slip, washers and nuts. You'll need one more washer and nut in 11/4" size to go with the kit pictured if your faucet doesn't have one. Buy one anyway to make sure.

Old 10-18-16, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator
It just screws together.. Make sure washers go in proper direction..

Also use pipe dope on the strainer. Read here..

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/to...pe-washer.html

Old 10-18-16, 07:04 PM
Thanks, In regard to the pipe dope on the strainer, do I use teflon tape too? I read the link and saw mixed opinion on using the tape too.

Lastly, any idea about the supply line? It's built into the handles but I wasn't sure if I should use teflon tape when I connect to the shutoff valves.

Old 10-18-16, 07:21 PM
Normally no dope or tape is used on the supply lines, depending on the type of connection. Non need to use both. It think Mike will concur with using RectorSeal T+2 pipe dope. I also use a metal ring instead of plastic when attaching to the sink. For some reason I get a better fit than with plastic. The plastic ones tend to strip away from the threads when they get tight.

Old 10-18-16, 07:34 PM
Just so I'm clear - do I only apply pipe dope under the flange in the actual sink or does it also go under the sink too? First time doing this so I really appreciate the help.

Old 10-18-16, 08:01 PM
You will apply plumber's putty under the flange of the drain on the sink's upper (pretty) side. Make a string about 3/8" in diameter and about 4" long by rubbing it between your hands. The only place Mike was suggesting putting the dope was on the threads of the tailpiece where it enters the flange part. Very fine thread, but needs the added leak protection. Two different products, so make sure you get both.

Old 10-19-16, 12:07 PM
So the pope dope is the rector seal product that goes on the threads of the tailpiece? Plumbers putty is a different product that goes under the flange in the sink? Thanks.

Old 10-19-16, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
dope on threads and that rubber cone washer... No tape at all anywhere..

Make sure nut is turned all the way down along with the cone washer before applying dope.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72111[/ATTACH]

Putty on strainer side as shown here. ( And the only dope I use is real tuff teflon paste from Hercules ) Depot sells it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]72112[/ATTACH]

Attached Images   
Old 10-19-16, 05:20 PM
Well you were certainly right. I'm pretty frustrated. I went to the local mom an d pop shop and they didn't have the pipe dope. The guy said I wouldn't need it for under the sink. I spent several hours hooking everything up (this is my first time), and low and behold I have a leak. I did put the putty under the flange in the sink as instructed.

Name:  IMG_4518.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  24.1 KB

Funny it doesn't mention anything about using pipe dope in the instructions either but the leak is coming right out from under that rubber piece. Are you saying I need to move the rubber piece and nut all the way down and then put pipe dope on the threads and screw it back on tight?

I'm going to have to go to home depot tomorrow and try to find the pipe dope. This sure is frustrating, thanks again for the help.

Old 10-19-16, 06:37 PM
Come to find out that rubber piece is threaded. I took everything apart and got the rubber piece screwed on. It's no longer leaking but the pipe dope is probably still a good safe guard for leaks.

Old 10-19-16, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator
Funny it doesn't mention anything about using pipe dope in the instructions either but the leak is coming right out from under that rubber piece. Are you saying I need to move the rubber piece and nut all the way down and then put pipe dope on the threads and screw it back on tight?
Yes plumber trick as to not ever have leak and a call back. Was taught that 33 years ago..

Yes turn nut and washer down all the way. put dope on threads and top of cone washer. Look at my pick...

Other trick is to run hot water for several minutes when done.. All tail piece parts and trap nuts will expand. Then you can turn all nuts a 1/4 turn more or so. More then if you did not run hot water.

Old 10-19-16, 07:17 PM
I'll pick up some pipe dope to finalize things with the drain. Just wanted to say thanks one more time. I can always count on folks at the DIY Forum to help me through my project (and answer my question, even when they are dumb ones)! Thanks again , take care

Old 10-19-16, 08:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes plumber trick as to not ever have leak and a call back. Was taught that 33 years ago..
Pop up basin washers are almost guaranteed to leak IMO. Mike has the answer.
The Delta integrated PEX supply lines are my favorite to install. Any supply line can be hooked up leak free, but these lines are perfected. Hand tighten plus 1 full turn (not 1/4 turn), I've never had a leak or got a call back installing these faucets.