Overweight Aunt Straining Bathtub

Old 04-22-01, 07:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

This is the second time weve been trough this! My Aunt has a beautiful home but because of her weight - she weighs 290 I'm 280, and my parents are both above 300lbs, we keep having to replace her fiberglassbathtubs. We tried putting in a castiron tub, but the weight, comibned with her's, resulted in the tub falling halve trough the floor and the livingroom ceiling below during the footboall game!!

She was lucky to be spared her life although she scrambled out of there and in her hurry fell out of the tub into the toiletbowl and cocked it sidways out' the floor. So's you can see we have a real mess here anyway we can reinforce the floor beneath so as to support a castiron bathtub?

Thank you for your kindly suggestions,

Phil280

Old 04-22-01, 08:45 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Super support for bath tub

The cast iron tub would have been fine if the area beneath the bathroom had double support system. Most floor systems are on 16" centers. Double up on the support system. If you have not seen the movie "Gilbert Grape," you must. Reinforce the subfloor everywhere the structure must bear the weight. Rent the movie "Gilbert Grape."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: