washing nachine drain leak

Old 10-30-16, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
washing nachine drain leak

Hi, I have a "connection box" in the wall next to my washing machine. It has the hot and cold supply valves and the drain in the middle. Lately the drain line seems to be leaking. Whenever the washer is used I get some water in the basement where the 2" PVC drain line comes down through the floor . I'm wondering how the drain piping connects to the "box". Fernco type coupling? Glued connection?
Something else? I'm sure I'll have to cut the wall open to repair, I'm just looking for an idea what to expect. Thanks for any insight! Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-16, 02:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Most likely the drain is overflowing. Fill washer and run a drain cycle while you are watching drain . You will hear a different sound as the drain backs up. Will need to snake drain line usually all the way to street or septic tank. Very common problem with washers as they dump a lot of water in drain in a short time. More than anything else in house. Shut off washer as soon as it backs up.

Old 10-30-16, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
leak update

Hi, I found an access panel in the wall below the connection box. Opened it and everything there is dry. The drain comes from the connection box down into a trap. From there it goes down thru the floor and immediately into a 45 degree.
Turns out the leak is where the vertical drain pipe goes into the 45. I guess I'll have to do some creative work replacing the 45. But I'm glad I didn't find a mess behind the wall. Thanks, Steve