AAV on standpipe for utility sink/washer drain

Old 11-01-16, 11:31 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AAV on standpipe for utility sink/washer drain

I know this issue has been discussed previously, but I couldn’t find answers to my specific questions. The attached image is borrowed from a 2013 thread and I added some mark-ups.

I want to do the same thing as the original poster, which is to connect the drains from a washer and a utility sink to a 2” standpipe that goes straight down into my basement floor and connects to the main drain line.

So far I’ve learned:
- AAVs are not ideal, but they are legal where I am and they are the only practical solution for this location.
-It would be better to hook the laundry drain on the sink, because the pressurized discharge (from washer) may cause issues with AAV. I have read mixed opinions on this, but I would prefer not to discharge into the sink.
-I need to use a “double fixture fitting” instead of a “double San Tee”. Will do.
What I am unsure of is:
-What are the minimum length dimensions indicated? (it's a tight space)
-Is there anything that can be done to minimize potential problems with the pressurized discharge (e.g. raising height of AAV)?

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-16, 10:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
I think you're pretty much on track. You want the AAV to be higher than the washer standpipe. I don't foresee any issues with this, the water won't discharge out of the AAV as long as it's higher.

Old 11-03-16, 10:40 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Zorfdt! Any idea on the horizontal min. length dimension? I should be able to fit a 5" length of pipe in there, think that's sufficient?