Can you help me identify what this pipe is?

Old 11-04-16, 08:32 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can you help me identify what this pipe is?

Can you help me identify what this pipe is? (please refer to attachment)

It has been leaking for last week or so.

Thank you
Attached Images  
Old 11-04-16, 08:39 AM
pugsl's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 8,161
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Looks like a stub out to either a future or old sprinkler. If leaking out bottom just cap it off. You could take that T pipe off and just put the hose bib back on.

Last edited by pugsl; 11-04-16 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-04-16, 09:11 AM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 10,652
Received 674 Upvotes on 597 Posts
We are assuming it's water. Agree with pugsi, take it off and just use the valve.
Old 11-04-16, 02:39 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 16,321
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Guys, look a bit more closely at the picture, that's a relief valve. It may have been installed originally to relieve the build-up of pressure from the water heater (instead of an expansion tank) but it is a poor method in my opinion. Obviously it has a worn seat/disc now and that is why it is leaking.

The best fix is an expansion tank near the water heater and then eliminate this relief valve. Or, you can simply replace it with a new relief valve. DO NOT SIMPLY PLUG OR CAP IT OFF unless you install the expansion tank.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: