Failed gas regulator at propane tank?

Old 11-05-16, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Failed gas regulator at propane tank?

I recently replaced a 30,000 btu LP Gas Radiant wall heater. The old heater was getting a little erratic in it's operation, so I thought I would simply install a new one for this heating season.
I did not light the old heater this season, and simply installed the new one.

I replaced a old LP floor furnace several years ago with the older Radiant heater, and I'm still using the same regulator.

The plumbing set up I have now has been in service for 30 years with the same Rego 2403 regulator on the tank, and no other regulator except for the small one supplied on the Radiant Heater. The new heater calls for 11-14" wc LP gas inlet pressure.

I checked the gas pressure entering my house (from the Rego) about ten years ago with manometer when I installed the first Radiant heater and had 15" wc, so that was OK.

The problem that I'm having now is that the new Heater will (not always, but sometimes) act like the gas pressure is suddenly (exceptionally) high and will make a flame that is entirely too big, and will make a low roar and the flame will extend at least 4" above the top of the (5) Refractory panels. I can turn the heat down, and then turn it back up and it will act normal, most of the time, until the cycle repeats.

After reading about some causes, I have realized the guy that initially installed my LP piping system should have used a 2 stage regulator. The Rego 2403 (old obsolete number) is a single stage regulator, and from what I can tell, the gas code requires two regulators outside the building....either a 2 stage at the tank, or a regulator at the tank and one immediately outside the building.
Is that correct?

I have a hunch that the Rego Regulator has developed a small leak past it's valve seat and is allowing the gas pressure to climb (to tank pressure) inside my home when the heater is sitting idle. The heater has a standing pilot, so the leak must be pretty large.

My tank is approx. 50 feet from my home, and is plumbed with direct buried 5/8" Type K Copper tubing with flared joints.
As I said, there is a regulator on the tank and there is no more pressure regulation until the gas gets to the Radiant heater and it's (internally supplied) regulator.
Should I install a 2 stage regulator...is it required?
I intend to check the gas pressure on the line after the Rego regulator (the pressure inside my house).

Thanks for any response

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-16, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
I moved your thread to the plumbing-piping section as it's not a heater problem as much as it's a piping/pressure problem.

As far as I'm aware.... two regulators are required. I'm guessing a two stage regulator is also ok.

The other pros will pass by and add valuable information.

Old 11-05-16, 10:57 AM
I am in Georgia...USA.....

Last edited by hillbilly ace; 11-05-16 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-05-16, 12:37 PM
I decided to order a Fisher R232A-HBF LP regulator to replace the Rego regulator.
This is a 2 stage, tank mounted regulator with a 250 psi max. input pressure and a output pressure of of 10.2-13" w.c. If my calculations are correct, this should supply ample gas to my 30000 btu heater through 50 feet of 5/8" ID type K copper tubing.