PVC Cement Setup Time vs. Working Time?

Old 11-15-16, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PVC Cement Setup Time vs. Working Time?

I'm trying to decide whether to use Oatey Medium or Regular cement for some PVC joints. Which one would give me the longest time to assemble the joint after I apply the cement? I'm thinking this would be the "working time", right?

Is "setup time" the time it takes the assembled joint to cure before it will safely withstand the water pressure?

Or have I got the two times reversed????

I guess another way of asking this question is which of the two cements (Medium and Regular) drys the slowest in case I have run into a problem assembling the joint and need to re-insert it.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-16, 08:45 AM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
Set up time is how long to wait until you can manhandle the joints. Working time is how long you can wait between applying the cement and making the joint. Those times are about the same for both medium and heavy bodied cement. The set up time may be a little longer for the medium.

The biggest difference is the consistency of the cement itself. The heavy bodied cement is more syrupy and the medium bodied is more watery. Use the heavy on fittings that are looser than normal or larger than about 1 inch.

Old 11-15-16, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Excellent explanation, thanks. Now I've got it straight.

I've used the Oatey product called REGULAR PVC cement before but couldn't find it at Lowes recently. I bought the MEDIUM instead and it seemed considerably more syrupy/thicker than I remember the REGULAR being. The thicker stuff seems more likely to build up inside the 3/4" pipe. Of course, I might be applying too much. I'll try Home Depot in hopes of finding the REGULAR.