max drain fixtures per 2 inch pipe?

Old 11-15-16, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
max drain fixtures per 2 inch pipe?

what is the max drain fixtures per 2 inch pipe? currently on the 2 inch pipe are washing machine, utility sink and a kitchen sink all three feeding into the pipe. can a shower and two bathroom sinks be added to this pipe along with the washing machine and utility sink and kitchen sink? so a total of six fixtures.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-16, 04:22 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
The washing machine, unless it discharges to the laundry sink, requires a two-inch drain all by itself. A kitchen sink requires a two-inch drain all by itself. A shower requires a two-inch drain all by itself.

Drain, waste and vent systems (DWV) are sized not on the number of fixtures, but the number of fixture units, served by each branch of the DWV system. My book is on the top shelf and in another room so I can't quote the number of fixture units each of your items are listed at but I can state that your existing 2-inch pipe is vastly overloaded. It may work okay IF you only drain ONE fixture at a time but it most assuredly does not meet any plumbing code I have ever seen.

So to answer your question:
can a shower and two bathroom sinks be added to this pipe...
the answer is absolutely not.

Old 11-17-16, 11:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
Based on UPC, 2" pipe can handle 2 DFUs (drainage fixture units).

Your laundry tub is 2, clothes washer is 3, and kitchen sink is 2 for a total of 7. So as Furd stated, you're already over the limit of a 2" pipe. Granted, not horribly over, but I certainly wouldn't add anything else to it.