occasional earth worm in 2nd story toilet

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-16, 04:05 PM
occasional earth worm in 2nd story toilet

Hi
Have a 2nd story toilet and since May have seen an occasional earth worm in the toilet bowl. Two septic people have said it is unlikely worm made it to the second story from septic system. Suggested coming down from the vent on the roof, via leaves, birds, whatever. So...
Is it Ok to flush the vent with a garden hose?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-16, 04:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes Received: 2
I would chug it first with the water off to make sure you don't have severe clogs. Then have a helper turn the water on for a good cleaning. Be careful. It isn't the fall, but the sudden stop that makes for a bad day.

Old 11-19-16, 04:11 PM
Thanks. Am newbie. What does "chug" mean?

Old 11-19-16, 04:15 PM
Upvotes Received: 24
Not an issue, I'd be amazed if an earthworm could make it's way from the ground to a second story without some help from some place.
We own three property's, been in the business for over 50 year's and never once seen or heard of a worm in a toilet, if it was mine I'd just flush the toilet and and forget about it.

Old 11-19-16, 04:24 PM
True, earth worm to 2nd story seems unlikely. And so the idea of down the vents via leaves birds etc.
And is easy to flush the worms but kinda freaks out the guests so would like to end it. So the question can we flush the roof vents? And seems so. But now the question what does "chug" mean? Just stuff the hose down without water on?

Old 11-19-16, 04:35 PM
Upvotes Received: 24
Not sure what you expect flushing out the vent is going to do, sure not going to stop birds from dropping in another worm. As I said this is just not a common issue.
Never once even seen leaves or birds being an issue with a roof vent.

Old 11-19-16, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 141
I have many+ properties and have never had earthworms appear in any toilet first or second floor. Earthworms simply do not live in septic tanks or that type environment. I would check to make sure someone in the house does not have a parasite. Tape worms break off in segments that leave in the stool and could be mistaken for a earthworm.

Old 11-19-16, 05:35 PM
I understand it is uncommon. Merely following advice from septic/plumbing people who have been out and looked.

Was not thought to be a dropped in worm. Rather over years leaves etc collect and may compost in the pipe, forming dirt.

They are earth worms. Local Pest Control people identified them.

Keeping in mind as John Wooden said, "It is what we learn after we think we know it all, that counts."

What I need to know now is what does "chug" means as per response from "chandler"?

Last edited by engrav; 11-19-16 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-19-16, 08:58 PM
Upvotes Received: 16
chug

Chandler means with the water off you work the hose up and down in the vent pipe while slowly feeding the length into the pipe. After you have gone as far as you can THEN you can turn on the water.

Old 11-19-16, 09:02 PM
ah ha
will do that
thank you
after outcome is clear, if I remember, will re-post

also found a "this old house" video on how to clean debris from vents
but of course they use all manner of slick tools
but the principal is that same as "chugging" and then flushing

also found on web that rats, mice, birds get stuck in vents as well as leaves and needles and in the country we have all of the above

also our vent does not go straight down, has a sort of horizontal section which could promote debris

anyway will chug it and flush it and record results

Old 05-24-17, 01:45 PM
12 weeks since I chugged/flushed the roof plumbing vent. No worms seen since.

Old 05-24-17, 02:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes Received: 2
GREAT !! Glad to hear it.

Old 03-17-19, 01:54 PM
Now 10 months since last earthworm in second story toilet. Gotta conclude they get in thru the roof vent (from bird droppings, leaves, whatever). And that flush of plumbing vents removed 'em.

Old 04-19-19, 12:15 PM
Maybe it was another kind of worm? A maggot from a decaying animal carcass in the vent line dropping in?

Closed Thread