Water supply leak


Old 11-23-16, 08:30 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 26
Water supply leak

Hi. I have a small leak in the water line coming from the street in my basement (see pic). It's not coming from the shut off valve, but the brass connection thing with the tag on it.

Do I need to call a plumber or is this easy enough to fix?

Also, what's that black wire? I assume it's to the outside meter so it can be read from outside the house, but how does it work? It doesn't appear to connect to anything! thanks.


Name:  wm1.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  30.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-23-16 at 08:46 AM. Reason: reoriented picture
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-16, 08:47 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 50,594
Likes Received: 108
That is a pressure reducing valve. Since there are several unions on that side of the meter.... the replacement is fairly easy as everything can be taken apart.

That black wire is the water service bond to the electric panel.
Old 11-23-16, 03:52 PM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 17,722
Likes Received: 2
The PRV is the water company's responsibility it seams as its on their side of the meter... Call them.. Yes the black wire is simply a bond required by code....

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes