Replacing galvanized with PVC schedule 40

Old 11-30-16, 02:41 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing galvanized with PVC schedule 40

I need to replace all galvanized pipe which is about 60 yrs old with pvc schedule 40.
I want to use this instead of pex because it is easier to work with.What I would like to know if this pipe is good to use for replacing the galvanized pipe.Also what size do you recommend from meter to house and from house to fixtures.Thanks for your help

Old 11-30-16, 02:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
3/4" PVC is the norm between the house and the meter. PVC isn't rated for interior use and can not be used for hot water. In my house I replaced all the galvanized with CPVC about 25 yrs ago.

Old 11-30-16, 03:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
CPVC has been the norm for a number of years for hot and cold water. Just be sure to run 3/4" trunk lines of CPVC throughout the house and only 1/2" when you turn up to a sink/shower/toilet. That will give you less volume difference when people flush toilets, or when two people use showers simultaneously.

PEX is much easier to use, IMO, although it does take a special crimping tool. PEX won't harden like CPVC will over the years, and will flex to a degree if exposed to cold.

Old 11-30-16, 02:47 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
"3/4" PVC is the norm between the house and the meter. PVC isn't rated for interior use and can not be used for hot water. In my house I replaced all the galvanized with CPVC about 25 yrs ago."

Just out of curiosity, how did you transition from the PVC coming into the house and the CPVC for your interior pipes? I know PVC and CPVC fittings are not interchangeable due to slight difference in diameters. Do they make some kind of PVC to CPVC adapter for the transition?

Old 12-01-16, 03:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If i remember correctly I used threaded pvc and cpvc fittings to make the transition but had I known I would have used one of these - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Genova-3-4-...ttings/3341714

Old 12-01-16, 03:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Both PVC and CPVC have IPF fittings so they are compatible in that respect even though their diameters are different. You bring your cold water into the house and to the water heater via PVC. From the water heater and the cold water origin transition to CPVC in 3/4"

Old 12-01-16, 07:35 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
As others have said, CPVC is fine for residential use. Make sure you use the correct cement. Some PVC cements won't work, you need to use a CPVC cement.

I would highly recommend having a second look at PEX though. It's really nice to be able to make full runs with no joints - and the joints you do have are really quick and easy to assemble. I just replumbed a house a couple weeks ago and it was a delightful experience. (So much better than using copper!)

Regardless what you choose, good luck!

Old 12-01-16, 08:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Z....

Did you buy, rent or borrow the crimp tool ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: