PVC line keeps clogging up

Old 12-03-16, 02:00 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PVC line keeps clogging up

My home had the sewer line replaced 10-15 years ago with schedule 40 PVC, the line from the second bathroom keeps clogging up and I put the water hose with a jet tip on, go in through the clean-out and blow the clog out, this has happened a couple of times recently, the distance where the hose goes to is around this junction of the main line and the drain from the washer...any ideas of what I should do to fix this? Put another clean-out right past the junction?

Attached Images  
Old 12-03-16, 03:06 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
A cleanout will help break up a clog the next time it happens, but I'd want to figure out why it keeps clogging.

Nothing looks particularly wrong with what you've uncovered. There's got to be a belly or something that's causing your problems.

Old 12-05-16, 01:37 AM
A
That's not the appropriate wye fitting. It should be a Sanitary Tee or combo San/wye tee. The longer sweep of the tee provides better drainage and flow. I would replace the fitting and put a main line clean-out stub ahead of the connection, rising vertically to grade or above just to be on the safe side.

Old 12-05-16, 02:30 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Andy,
I'm not sure that's correct. My understanding is that a Sanitary Tee can't be used on it's side/back and can be only used in a vertical orientation like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73992[/ATTACH]

Anything horizontal to horizontal or vertical to horizontal needs to be a wye or combo-wye fitting like the OP showed.

-Mike

Attached Images  
Old 12-10-16, 11:05 PM
A
Zorfdt
Not sure if it's code compliant or not. As I see it, the problem exists in the sewer line where the existing Wye meets the main line. The entrance from the smaller line is too abrupt and not condusive to good flow without significant water volume - not likely achieved with the smaller diameter run. And IMO perhaps the reason for stopages at that point. The connection between the two lines appears to need a sweep with a defined radius from the smaller line into the main line. The existing set-up doesn't allow for that. Though, on rereading the post, the smaller line is wm discharge only and not likely the cause for clogging. As such, in a perfect world should be adequate.

I think a combo San Tee is fine as long as it's horizontal to horizontal. Either way, if it works without further issue...problem solved.

All that is assuming, as you suggested there is not a belly in the main line. It may well be that there is simply insufficient fall in the main line at the point. Exposing both lines a few feet further back and using a level might be enlightening.

Old 12-12-16, 09:20 AM
C
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is that 2" pipe on the wye branch. Is it just picking up the sink.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: