Laundry room - drain??

Old 12-12-16, 07:25 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laundry room - drain??

Hi,

I am getting a new washer and dryer soon here. The washer is the new LG Twin Wash where there is a second washing machine in the pedestal.

The installation instructions indicate a drain pan cannot be used (logical as the drawer would not open).

I was thinking of instead just installing a drain in the floor for any kind of leak. The floor is currently vinyl sheet flooring - no slope. At some point I may have it tiled.

Note that I also have a smart water sensor coming (it will notify/text me) and am planning to also get a smart water shut off so that if water is sensed, the house water is shut off. Just trying to figure out which to get (thinking Leaksmart??).

1. Any thoughts on the drain? To do it or not to do it?
2. Placement of the drain? I was told to put it in front of the washer in case it drys up and has to have water put back in. {I also heard something about self-priming drains??}

I understand without the slope, water isn't necessarily directed towards the drain, but is it better than nothing? Or is it better to just do the tile/slope/drain all at the same time?

Thanks!

Old 12-12-16, 08:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Havfe you a drain near that you can tap into. Is this a first or second floor. Is floor wood or concret? This a front loader? Most leaks from a fromt loader are small. ..Been reparing repairing washers for many years, Have had more plumbing problems than washer leaks.

Old 12-12-16, 10:43 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

• it is a front loader with a little pedestal washer in the bottom
  • laundry room is on the first floor
  • unfinished basement underneath, drain from laundry exposed and so can be tapped into
  • I plan to use the mesh connector hoses to help prevent hose leaks (have those right now).

Note that I did have a washing machine leak in my old house -- the drain hose came out from the bottom of the machine. I think the tub got stuck during the spin cycle and it all drained into my basement!. This is why I'm a bit concerned. We hope to finish the basement in the next year.

Thanks!

Old 12-12-16, 12:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Drain in laundry room would almost have to have a lip in front to stop water which will defeat your plan. Front load washers have 6 to 8 gallons of water compared to 25 in older top loaders. 6 gallons of water still can make a mess. The drain would oly work for small leaks.. Have been in laundry rooms withn basin type places for washers, most customers said they would not do it again.
Plumbers or floor guys should be in later.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: