Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

First time in 16 years forgot to unhook outside hoses and turn water supply off

Old 12-16-16, 05:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Looking for advice.

We have had below freezing temps for the past week and I just realized I forgot to disconnect my hoses and shut off the inside water supply to each spigot. I have turned both inside supply lines closed and disconnected the hose in the back of the house and actually cut the rubber hose close to the spigot in the front as I could not unscrew the hose. Both outside faucets show ice in the spigot. Should I open each outside spigot all the way so it drains when it warms up? Or would this create more issues? The spigot in the front of the house is not frost proof although I believe the one in the back is.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-16, 05:21 AM
Do you have a spare hair-dryer to advance the thawing process ?

I hope you can repair your hoses.

Old 12-16-16, 05:37 AM
I can do that.if I do that should I turn the outside spigot all the way open and should I use the hairdryer on the outside or inside? I just didn't know if thawing it out prematurely would cause more damage..hopefully since I shut the 2 inside feeds off the only leakage ( if any ) will be from the spigot to the shutoff and should not cause too much mess when thawed..also just wanted to know the advantage of thawing in advance.

Thanks!

Old 12-16-16, 06:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 197 Votes on 182 Posts
No, thawing the pipe and spigot will not harm anything. Do you know if your piping is copper, PVC/CPVC, PEX...? If it's a plastic make sure you don't go crazy with a torch and melt the pipes.

You want to thaw in advance so you can find a leak while it's still fresh in your mind. If you wait until spring you'll likely forget about it and turn the inside shutoff back on thinking everything's OK. Sometimes the pipe within the wall bursts/splits which allows the leak to drain down inside the wall cavity where it may go unnoticed until there is a bigger problem.

Old 12-16-16, 06:33 AM
You've probably got minimal damage (except for your hoses) so far. If you can see the interior pipe, and see no visible damage, I'd assume that it's just the spigot valve that froze . . . . but I'd start my thawing and come back into the basement to double check the interior piping.

I sympathize . . . . but we've had below freezing for a couple of months now, and last night it was -19F when the power went out for nearly 4 hours.

So now, anything that was going to freeze, has froze, and it isn't even winter yet !

Not to worry, the days will start getting longer next week.

Old 12-16-16, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the reply. It is copper pipe.