3 clogged toilets and severe staining in bowls

Old 04-24-01, 03:16 PM
Visiting Guest
I live in a home built in the late 50's. Looks like most of the work was done by owner or a friend. I have 2 toilets on upper level (1 was just replaced with new) and 1 toilet on main floor. Every toilet will clog which leads me to believe there is a major clog somewhere else. We currently use a plunger, which works until the next time someone uses the toilet. We also have severe stains where the water line is in the toilet. I have tried everything I know of to get rid of these "rings" but to no avail. I don't know what to do about the toilets or rings. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-24-01, 08:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
The stains have a couple of possible solutions: There are a number of products like CLR and other rust/mineral removers that usually do the trick.

Another, but requiring more care is to use muriatic (pool) acid. Clear most of the water from the bowl, make sure you have good ventilation and gloves, and throw away the scrubber when you are done with it. The acid should disolve these kind of stains almost right away.

If all toilets, including the new one tend to do clog, and flush too slowly, have your roof venting checked. They may be clogged, or, because the work may have been done wrong, long ago, this may be the source of the problem.

Old 04-24-01, 09:37 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A pumice stone will work wonders on most stains and mineral ring in bowl. Use it in conjunction with Ron's suggested cleaning methods.

mrfixit

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: