Bathroom sink draining issue

Old 01-15-17, 10:16 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom sink draining issue

Hi all....quick question. A while ago, a load of snow on my 12/12 pitch roof took out a piece of vent pipe on the roof...the vent hole that remained is now covered in snow, and since this has happened the bathroom sink which is located at the top of the house is extremely slow to drain. The other sinks and bath in the house drain fine. I have checked the trap underneath and it is clear of any blockage....when the sink is filled and the drain pulled with the trap cap disconnected it drains fine, but as soon as I put the cap back on it goes back to draining VERY slowly. My question is is this due to the missing vent pipe maybe not allowing enough air into the drain system? Any and all help appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 01-15-17, 10:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
Welcome back. It will depend on whether the other sinks/toilets are utilizing this same vent. If they are on separate vents, then yes, it could be from the blockage. What is a trap cap? Have you pulled the stopper all the way out of the sink? IF you do, be aware it will probably be full of rotting hair, so it won't be pleasant.

Old 01-15-17, 10:28 AM
T
Thanks Chandler....I'm pretty sure there is only one vent pipe on my roof. Yes...I've pulled out the stopper and all is clear......the "trap cap" is the screw-on cap right at the bottom of the u trap to facilitate draining it.

Old 01-15-17, 11:15 AM
The bottom trap cap is to clear out the crud accumulated, not to help it drain. However, beyond the trap, you could have a blockage in that line alone. While it is normal for crud to stay in the trap, yours may have migrated, and is exacerbated by the vent blockage. Have you removed the trap completely? Can you snake beyond the trap in the swing arm going into the wall and down??

Old 01-15-17, 11:18 AM
If you have room between the trap and the wall you could install a temporary AAV valve, studor vent.

Name:  aav.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  22.5 KB

The pic is just one example, there are other configurations.

Old 01-15-17, 12:56 PM
T
I understand that the trap cap is for cleanout, I was just mentioning that when it was off the sink drained fine. Of course, that only tells us it's clear as far as the trap....I will have to try and find a snake and check beyond the trap in the line....the amount of crap that came out when I removed the trap cap would make it seem likely that there's crap further down the line. Handyone, thanks for the tip about the AAV valve, are they available at regular plumbing supply stores?

Old 01-15-17, 12:58 PM
Yes, the studor, or AAV are available at plumbing stores or box stores. STUDOR 1-1/2 in. or 2 in. PVC Mini Vent Adapter-20341 - The Home Depot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: