What are these pipes?

Old 01-25-17, 08:46 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 7
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What are these pipes?

I just had a plumber out to replace my homeowner shutoff valve. He mentioned that he didn't see a double check valve for the irrigation, that I should have an irrigation company come out and locate it (maybe it's covered by dirt and grass) and if there isn't one, put one in.

Anyway, I was poking around looking for it and I noticed these sticking out of a plant bed near the front of the house: https://flic.kr/p/RmVWCF. I've seen them before but never thought a thing about them. Any idea what these are? I'm hesitant to open it and find out it's some kind of sewer vent or something.
Old 01-25-17, 09:17 AM
pugsl's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 8,161
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
I may be wrong but they look like sewer line clean outs.
Old 01-25-17, 10:35 AM
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,902
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I agree that they look like clean outs, but, assuming it's your home on your property, there's no one more entitled to know for sure, so no need to be hesitant about confirming.
Old 01-25-17, 10:42 AM
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 20
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes those are the cleanouts for your main sewer line. You may have to dig around near where your main water line comes into the house or foundation or basement that's where you'll see it connected to your irrigation system.then you'll need a plumber install the backflow preventer

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: