Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

old tub drain removal problem / 90 degree elbow spins freely underneath tub

Old 01-29-17, 01:27 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello experts,

Im trying to get out an OLD tub drain. but underneath (under the tub) portion of the drain has a 90 degree copper elbow that seems permanently attached. I have the top of the drain assembly loose (inside tub) and it spins freely. The issue is underneath. There is a 90* elbow right under the tub, then a 1.25 x 1.5" flex tube connecting two sides together to my house drain. The rubber flex tube was old/cracked/leaking, which is why this project started. Its been removed so now i have an open section of pipe.

The elbow underneath is soldered (as best i can tell) to the tub drain....so it just spins around 360 degrees as i try to loosen from above. If i had space underneath i would just saw it off, but the elbow is about 1/16th gapped to the tub bottom. I dont even know how they got the original flex tube on there! Its very tight and not easily accessible.
any suggestions please let me know!

Thanks, Mark

Old 01-29-17, 02:06 PM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Maybe we need a picture.

Here's a cutaway of a basic tub drain:

Name:  Bathtub-Drain-Diagram-300x300.jpg
Views: 2219
Size:  22.3 KB

As you can see, once you have unscrewed the strainer assembly from inside the tub, the tub shoe and horizontal drain leg should be free. Often they are stuck to the bottom of the tub, but a bit of prying will pop it off.

It sounds like you might have a different arrangement though, so please post a pic or two:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 01-29-17, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Does your set up look remotely like this?? If so, just replace it all if possible.

Name:  tub drain.jpg
Views: 1699
Size:  8.5 KB

Old 01-29-17, 02:20 PM
G
Carbide,

Its exactly as you pictured.

What is happening is the whole "drain arm and tub shoe" spins when i try to remove the threaded drain portion from inside the tub.

Maybe if i insert something (screwdriver/chisel, etc) inside the open end of the drain arm/shoe it will rotate and stop against something underneath allowing me to get the threaded drain portion out?

Thanks,Mark

Old 01-29-17, 02:40 PM
G
Name:  20170129_172304.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  20.3 KB

here is the culprit that spins 360 from above.

The new rubber flex tube piece was my first attempt at fixing, but i need to replace it all because of how close the 'foot' is to the tub. Its so close, i could not get the new flex tube in.

Old 01-29-17, 03:20 PM
C
Oh, I understand. Can you have someone hold the bottom with a pipe wrench while you unscrew the basket from above? Or you can stick a piece of pipe or the like into the drain pipe that is long enough to jam against some framing and prevent it from spinning.

Once you have it off, you are probably better off replacing the whole assembly as Larry suggested.

Old 01-29-17, 03:44 PM
G
Carbide,

thanks for the advice. Sorry if i got you guys confused. Its what i was thinking also, just needed some pro advice before digging deeper. Its REALLY a pain to get under the tub, but i can wedge something to get this done........hopefully!

I'm just going to replace the drain assy and flex tube to fix the leaks for now. Have plans to gut and replace this old (1940) bathroom this spring/summer.

thank you all!

Mark

Old 01-31-17, 07:41 AM
G
its stuck!

Can anyone give me advice to get this separated / removed?

Its definitely NOT threaded that i can see. Seems its soldered.
I have snapped two screwdrivers and broken the middle screw assy inside the drain trying to spin this sucker off. I had serious torque applied from above using small wrench/vice grips "tool".....so much so that i snapped two screwdriver handles.

As you can see, its very tight to the bottom of the tub. I cannot get a saw in there. Aside from destroying the tub bottom, how can i get this out???

Thanks,
MarkName:  20170131_101455_resized.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  26.1 KB

Name:  20170131_101514_resized.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  18.3 KB

Name:  20170131_101550_resized.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  31.7 KB

Last edited by gladesteen; 01-31-17 at 07:59 AM.
Old 01-31-17, 09:04 AM
C
Desperate times require.....

Use a dremel with the little reinforced cutoff wheels. Cut through the basket from the inside just below where the bottom surface of the flange would be. Be careful to limit the depth of cut to just get through the metal. Once you have the top flange off the rest should push out the bottom. Wear eye protection!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: