Getting the old pipe off

Old 04-26-01, 07:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have an 80 year old house, so the pipes are kind of scary. I'm not sure if they even had a building code when this was put it. I want to replace the shower extension pipe, but I can't get the old pipe to unscrew. Do you have any helpful tips that would loosen use the threads so it could be removed without damaging the water supply pipe coming from the wall? I would hate to have to call in a plumber just for that.
Thanks for any help,
Regina

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-01, 09:56 PM
Regina,

80 years is a long time. I would try a good penetrating oil, like Liquid Wrench or Kano Kroil (not WD-40) for starters. Next choice would be heat, if you can get a torch to it without setting the house on fire.

If it breaks off, it is not that big of a deal, if you get a nipple extractor. See this post for details and a picture.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...threadid=47440

Old 04-30-01, 07:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info! I'll try both solutions tomorrow. I'll let you know what worked.
Regina

Old 04-30-01, 11:03 PM
Why dont you like WD-40?

Old 05-01-01, 06:20 AM
WD-40

I LOVE WD-40 for many things, but NOT as a penetrating oil. It simply does not do well compared to Liquid Wrench or Kano Kroil. My personal opinion is Kano Kroil is the best, there ad says it gets into openings as small as 1 millionth of an inch. It works when other things have not, for me.

To each his own! If you are satisfied with WD-40 as a penetrating oil, keep using it. If it does not work on some application, you might want to try one of the alternatives listed above.

Old 05-07-01, 07:09 PM
Visiting Guest
I was able to get the pipe off this past weekend buy using about 5 applications of liquid wrench and a dowel stuck into the pipe for better torque. It worked great! Thanks!

Old 05-07-01, 08:50 PM
You are welcome, and thanks for posting back.