3" copper leaking?

Old 03-01-17, 04:12 AM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
3" copper leaking?

In the picture this 3" copper has worn thin ,and it started to flood my basement whats the best and/or the least expensive way to repair this leak.I retired from plumbing 30 years . Tell me how you'd do it yourself.I don't!-- want to sweat it loose. My arms won't stay up there long enough, to get it done. Do they make repair kits for this problem? 3" if so where?.."checking to see whats new" in this area. I didn't think copper ever woreout. Its thin but not a long ways about 3" leak. Anything you have as a plumber, please help me out. and thank you bob s

Attached Images  
Old 03-01-17, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Fernco couplings and PVC drainage pipe would make a good patch.

We use a lot of these in our 1928/1970 construction era hospital.

Old 03-01-17, 05:56 AM
B
Would you know how long these can be purchased? and thank you bob s

I am thinking maybe get a piece of 3" dia copper.split it wrap it around the present bad piece. Clean up the pipe extra good.And sweat it back on the bottom side Maybe half circle, copper piece.any other ideas bob s

Old 03-01-17, 06:13 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First off are you sure that's not 2"? But yea get some pvc and flexible fittings(fernco)

Old 03-01-17, 06:29 AM
B
This the main branch to the toilet. Its 3" for sure.Thing i am concerned is The bottom of this short line maybe getting thin also.This bad pipe shown is 9" long into each fitting Bob s Cutting it out to replace would be a fight to repair .inserting another complete new 9" piece. All the branches as shown won't give enough to ft it it up.??

Old 03-01-17, 08:33 AM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
There's a variety of Fernco or similar products available similar to the one's GregH showed. However, I suggest getting one with an metal outer shell and strongly suggest you stick to those. I'm concerned your pipe may be thinning and a purely rubber product may put pressure on the pipe. You can find them in HD or almost any hardware store, also Amazon.

Old 03-01-17, 05:14 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, Fernco couplings work well. Replace that section with ABS or PVC. If you can find a coupling that would fit over the hub of the bass fitting you could cut the pipe flush with the coupling then run a new piece of abs to the toilet. They make those couplings all types of configurations. If you get the right coupling the rest will be easy.
Good luck Woodbutcher

Old 03-02-17, 05:23 AM
B
Repair came out well--- good as ever after 32 years retired,Copper is solid every where else.Ihave always been under the impression that ..being A plumber myself Copper never wears out ?thanks all bob s before and after shown

Attached Images   

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: