Temporary shut off valve for slab leak

Old 03-06-17, 02:34 PM
K
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Temporary shut off valve for slab leak

I am wondering if I can temporarily install a shut off valve to isolate a slab leak until I can work out a reasonable repair with a plumber and if so, can a compression fitting be used or must it be soldered?

As is I have a hot water feed line that Tees off of the line going into the wall, down that wall, and beneath the slab. Said line was installed when another slab leak was discovered years ago. I would be placing the shut off valve between that line's "T" and where the second leaking line enters the wall.

Old 03-06-17, 02:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Since it's temporary you can install any valve you want, you would remove it later.
I would use a sharkbite valve, they are easy to install and remove.

Old 03-06-17, 05:09 PM
K
The Sharkbite is a good suggestion. I have a plumber coming by tomorrow afternoon, who did quite a bit of work last year in my home for a kitchen remodel. He struck me as being a craftsman so I tracked him down.

Old 03-06-17, 06:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good deal. A slab leak repipe around here could cost about $5-8K. Usually insurance is involved because of the scope of work.

Old 03-17-17, 06:16 PM
K
I had a tek from a big plumbing company out yesterday. Talk about slick but high pressure. Anyway, when I told her I was going to install a sharkbite valve for temporary use at the manifold, she made a bid deal about how that could cause what is a slow leak to blow.

Old 03-18-17, 01:59 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I wouldn't hire anyone who's high pressure like that. Most good contractors will be honest and recommend you get the work done, but will give you the leeway to make your own decision on your own timeframe. Of course, there are benefits of going with the larger plumbing companies in terms of warranty and having someone available when you call.

Good luck regardless of how you decide to go!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: