Pulling permit for plumbing reroute

Old 03-24-17, 12:03 PM
K
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Pulling permit for plumbing reroute

This plumber says a permit is not needed to isolate the pipes running under the slab and reroute them above the ceiling, but if I am set on them pulling a permit they say they can do the job and then get the permit. My local building department requires a permit for a pipe reroute, but it is closed until Monday. What do you think about using this particular plumber or if I so insisting on seeing the permit before any work is done?

If it makes a difference, I am in California.

Old 03-24-17, 12:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I can't say if you should do the work or not without a permit first.
I can say some plumbers and electricians have a good relationship with the city inspectors.
For example they will hook up a water heater or restore power to an electrical panel and the work is inspected later.
The plumber should know if the city's OK with it.

Old 03-24-17, 12:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I agree with Brian.

Many times we're required to do repair work or emergency work after hours or during a holiday. The work gets done and the permit can be obtained when the inspection department/city hall is reopened.

Tell your contractor... no final payment without inspection.
(be aware.... you will be obligated to pay the contractor back for the permit fees)

Old 03-24-17, 02:21 PM
K
Thanks. I know the letter of the law, but was wondering if what the contractor was doing was reasonable or a red flag. In this case, it seems reasonable since the plumber isn't closing the walls and the inspector will be able to inspect and sign off on the permit.

Old 03-24-17, 03:32 PM
Group Moderator
If the inspector knows the plumber.... he won't be too concerned with seeing the work.
In your case the walls are open and the plumber wouldn't be closing them anyway.

Old 03-24-17, 09:52 PM
K
Yep. The most important thing being the work is left open for inspection. In an unrelated ongoing saga, the city is refusing to issue a permit for replacing an exterior door after the job was done. Probably because it can no longer inspect the weather wrap, fins, and flashing after they are covered over with stucco.

As for the inspector knowing the plumber, that can cut both ways. If a contractor, not just plumbers, have a less than stellar reputation, the city will take a closer look at their work. But of they are known for quality work, inspections whiz past.

Old 03-24-17, 10:50 PM
Group Moderator
If a contractor, not just plumbers, have a less than stellar reputation, the city will take a closer look at their work.
Absolutely and those are the guys that will push for no inspections.

Old 03-24-17, 11:07 PM
K
Around here few try to talk you out of inspections, they just charge a lot more and that usually dissuades one from asking for an inspection. I expect to pay a reasonable amount more for an inspection, since the contractor often has to hang around waiting on an inspector, but I know what is going on when the charge is excessive.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: