Musty water from kitchen faucet only, please help.

Old 03-28-17, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Musty water from kitchen faucet only, please help.

Ok I will try and give as much background as possible. We built a new house in April of 2016 and a short time after moving in the kitchen sink developed a musty water smell (taste too) coming directly from the faucet the first few seconds after being turned on. After the water is ran for 20-30 seconds the smell/taste is gone. The best way I can describe it is a stale musty smell like you would expect from a wet rag thrown into a dark corner and left there for a few days. If you rinse your hands in the water, then your hands smell like it. No other faucet or water line has this issue.

The whole house uses PEX piping and each terminal has a dedicated line run to it (nothing shared). I have a water softener running the whole house minus 4 locations. The Cold line to kitchen faucet, fridge water, and two external hose bibs are all hard/untreated water.

I have tried everything possible to eliminate the issue with no luck. I tried to get the builder involved, but they say they have done everything they can and cannot locate the issue. Here is a list of everything I have tried so far:
1. I disconnected the lines under the sink and ran water into a bucket to see if the smell was trapped in the dedicated lines. No smell or taste in the supplied water.2. I tried replacing the Delta Faucet with the same model. After two weeks, the smell came back.3. I replaced the delta faucet with Moen faucet but similar in design (ie: pull down head design with long hose attached and looped under the sink). After two weeks it smelled too. 4. Returned both faucets to the store and installed the original again… and it stunk immediately after replacement.5. The builder had the water tested in 4 different locations in my house. Everything came back normal. Nothing even near the EPA limits.a. The copper content was slightly higher in the kitchen faucet location but nowhere near the limit so I thought that may affect it.6. The fridge has a filter so I thought maybe that is removing what ever is causing the smell, so I installed a filter under the sink on the cold/hard line to mimic the fridge filter. No luck. Still smells.

I am at a complete loss as to what to do next and the few plumbers I have asked agree this is strange.

To me it has to be some sort of chemical change caused within the faucet by the water, but the water was tested and everything came back negative… unless the lab lied about the results, but why would they?

Also please do not suggest answers related to the “p-trap”. It is not a drain issue. That would just be insulting ☹

Old 03-28-17, 10:03 AM
I disconnected the lines under the sink and ran water into a bucket to see if the smell was trapped in the dedicated lines. No smell or taste in the supplied water.
I'm at a loss on how water could be fine at the stop and bad at the faucet.
A Delta single handle faucet for example has integrated PEX lines and very few parts for the water to pass through.
Just food for thought.
Not insulting, but from my experience sink smells come from an improperly drained dishwasher drain line mostly.

Old 03-28-17, 11:43 AM
W
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
Connections

Any chemicals used to seal the connections of the lines to the faucet?

If your sampling was done from the stop, then the lines from the stop to the faucet could be suspect.

Old 04-04-17, 02:06 PM
Sink smells would come from the drain, yes... this smell is in the water... I can taste it. Not drain related.

Old 04-04-17, 02:13 PM
As for the chemical question. I had this same thought and inquired of the builder and he said they do not use chemicals for pex connections. I challenged him and asked if he knows for certain that the sub contracted plumbers for sure do not use chemicals or solvents and he replied that he is not 100% certain.

What types of chemicals could/would be used so that I might inquire of them to the plumbers directly? I have very little faith in the plumbers utilized for various reasons FYI.

Also, Sampling was taken in 4 places... 1 directly from the kitchen faucet (when the smell is worst); 1 directly from the kitchen faucet after having been ran for 2-3 minutes; 1 from an outside hose bib; and 1 from the bathroom tub faucet upstairs (soft).

Old 04-05-17, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Are you using a point-of-use water filter on the sink, such as Pur? Or an under counter instant water heater?

Old 04-05-17, 06:38 AM
I purchased an under the counter filter system to try and resolve the issue. I removed it and took it back to the store after two weeks with no change.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: