Changing double handle to single lever mixer

Old 03-31-17, 11:03 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Changing double handle to single lever mixer

Hi,

I am looking at a house that has a double handle tap, as per the image below. I would like to have it replaced with a single level mixir style tap. I was hoping to get some input as to how feasible this would be, given that the entire thing looks to be built into the wall.

Would this be a expensive modification to make, or are there some clever ways around it?

Name:  tap.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  27.1 KB

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-01-17, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Is the wall where the taps are located a bulkhead? IOW is there a ledge between where the taps are located and the wall?
If so you would need to remove the tiles to gain access to where the taps are mounted and possibly open the wall under the counter.
You would also need matching tiles to fix the holes you do not need or use SS covers to patch them.

Old 04-01-17, 04:22 AM
V
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
That Bath Vanity was intentionally designed to "look" antique, as if it originated in an era before they had running water or indoor plumbing and wash water was drawn and brought to the Master's Bedroom in a pitcher, along with hot towels . . . . by the Maid.

If you were to change this aspect, you should consider the redesign of the entire sink and vanity. If the same people decorated the entire house using these antique (though functional) design concepts, then this is just the beginning of un-doing much of what they have done in the dwelling.

I'd consider a different house.

Last edited by Vermont; 04-01-17 at 05:06 AM.
Old 04-01-17, 04:29 AM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
@vermont Haha, thanks for your insights! We would definitely replace the entire sink and vanity. The wooden vanity isn't going to cut it.

@GregH Thanks for the response! Looks like I had a few typos. I meant "single lever mixer-style tap". Not sure what happened there.

What you are seeing above the taps is a large mirror. There is no ledge. I will add a better picture below.

I suspect you are right though. We would probably have to remove the tiles to get the appropriate access. I am not sure if we would be able to source identical tiles, so the covers are actually not such a bad idea.

Last edited by aeroo; 04-01-17 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Added response
Old 04-01-17, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I tend to agree with Vermont.
Although possibly available I have not seen a single lever wall mounted faucet.

The pictures you are showing are not exactly what you are talking about so have to assume you will not be able to save the tiles for reuse.
You would probably have to destroy what is there to install a new vanity.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: