Dropped a screwdriver down the toilet drain

Old 04-22-17, 02:58 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dropped a screwdriver down the toilet drain

The drain is cast iron, straight down about 8ft+ and then has a 90. The driver is lying flat at the 90 with just a portion of the handle showing. I have tried snagging the handle with a 10ft glow rod with a loop. But that did not work.

Any suggestion on getting it out? The cast iron pipe makes using a magnet impossible.

Would there be any harm in leaving it there? That section of pipe leads out to the main sewer.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-17, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
In a case like that you could use 1/2" or 3/4" PVC and send the magnet down inside it.
You could put a slight bend on the end to steer it into the 90.

It may not be in bad location now but it could possibly become dislodged and get stuck in a worse location.

Old 04-22-17, 04:58 PM
W
Received 12 Votes on 10 Posts
Hi, I read these questions quite often. Sometime we have an answer and some times we don't but this time I learned something new. I don't know if it will work but now all I have to do is remember it if I ever need it.
Thanks Woodbutcher

Old 04-23-17, 03:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
Twice when my kids were little they flushed the toilet paper holder down the commode Both times I removed the plastic tube by removing the commode, taking it outside and backflushing it, then reinstalling.

Old 04-23-17, 05:51 AM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
If you can reach it then try putting some very sticky substance on the end of your stick, probe, whatever. Even an epoxy. Liquid nails. Power grip glue. Drop it down to touch the screwdriver. It need be wait for the epoxy to dry. Then lift it out.

Old 04-23-17, 06:25 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you can reach it then try putting some very sticky substance on the end of your stick...
I'd try a big glob of Gorilla Tape, duct tape etc with the sticky side out. Be sure to tape or tie it to your stick so that doesn't end up down there too.

Old 04-23-17, 09:09 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Try several lengths of hose hooked to a shop vac. You need not pick it up, just move it back a little so you can better get it with other tools/innovative ideas.