Connecting fridge water line

Old 04-25-17, 12:27 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 256
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting fridge water line

you know those little gizmos that are used for the water line to make ice in a fridge.
They pierce a tiny hole in a copper pipe and run a small mini copper line to the fridge.I cant believe there isnt a better way to do it but they are common still.
If you move your fridge to a new location you have to terminate the little line.It seems that you can pinch the copper line in a couple places and maybe get it to seal off.
What is the usual way to terminate one of these lines????
...and most of the new water lines for fridges are would you join this into a 1/2 inch PEX water pipe..??
Old 04-25-17, 12:39 PM
pugsl's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 8,161
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
i used something like this, it has the 1/4 and sink fittings.
To shut off the water to ref. just shut the piercing knob.
Old 04-25-17, 12:47 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 64,639
Received 3,898 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
That's called a saddle Tee. No longer allowed by code in many areas.
Just turn it off by turning the handle fully clockwise.

You can use a sharkbite fitting to do what you want.

SharkBite 24983 - 1/2" Sharkbite x 1/2" Sharkbite x 1/4" Compression Tee Stop
Name:  pex.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  28.8 KB
Old 04-25-17, 02:44 PM
Handyone's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,807
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would leave the saddle valve like advised here.
In addition to shutting off the valve, I would cap the outlet with a 1/4" compression cap:

Name:  comp cap.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  17.2 KB

Use a 1/4" brass compression ring (ferrule) inside the cap to get a good seal.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: