ABS and PVC DWV

Old 05-12-17, 12:24 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ABS and PVC DWV

Hey everyone,
I couldn't find anything in the California Building Code about ABS or PVC for a DWV, but my internet research gives conflicting info.

The guy at the plumbing supply said they don't carry PVC (trap adapter) and said he thought everyone has gone to ABS. The big box store has very little PVC.

My internet search suggests PVC is the newer application, and preferable, however. Which type of plastic is the newer application?

The Kohler tub drain set I had to buy (for trim matching) seems to only come in PVC or brass. The brass was too expensive so I need to try and make this PVC system work.

I would guess that restrictions in building code are based on toxicity in a fire and therefore safety of firefighters. Any better ideas?

For the tailpiece, I could have purchased PVC or poly. I went with the PVC because it seemed sturdier and the rest of this drainset is PVC.

Any helpful info on this difference in materials?

Is the PVC-ABS cement acceptable for bonding if it comes to this, or is a rubber boot with hose clamps better?

Thanks for any insight on this.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-17, 12:29 PM
B
Name:  IMG_3478.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  16.0 KB
Here's the pvc drainset tee with abs adapter available at the big box.

I bought the pvc version online but any downside to just bonding this with pvc-abs cement?

Old 05-12-17, 01:34 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Both ABS and PVC are acceptable materials for DWV piping. The choice is mostly regional with one being more common than the other. Something like 30 years or so ago there was a problem with SOME ABS piping failing due to a manufacturing defect. I have not heard of any problems with either material since that.

One thing, do NOT try to combine solvent-welded joints of dissimilar materials. If you must transition between the two use a shielded rubber joint made for the purpose. For traps at kitchen sinks and washbasins use only PVC with slip nut joints rather than solvent-welded components. Under certain circumstances solvent-welded traps are acceptable for bath tubs and showers.

Old 05-12-17, 02:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
thought everyone has gone to ABS. The big box store has very little PVC
Your profile is not complete. Where are you located? I find it difficult to find ABS, so I am not sure what stores you are looking at.

Mixing the two is purely local and it can be done with the proper solvent. I would check first to make sure you can do that. Weld-On ABS PVC 794 4 oz. Transition Cement - Green-13369 - The Home Depot

Old 05-12-17, 03:35 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The big box store has very little PVC
Must be regional. When I was still doing repairs I never saw ABS in Home Depot. That means you can probably order PVC online from Home Depot.

Old 05-12-17, 07:26 PM
in the California Building Code about ABS or PVC for a DWV
CA has almost all ABS. I would suggest cutting the pipe where you can and transition with a banded no-hub coupler between the PVC and ABS. Cut back the PVC as far as you can easily and go ABS from there.
No-hubs are approved for in-wall use. Cut the pipe squarely and tighten the screws to 60 inch pounds.
I noticed Furd also suggested a no-hub.