Mystery material

Old 05-17-17, 04:52 AM
Norm201's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 10,969
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
Mystery material

Had a customer (old timer) come in the other day asking for a powered material used on plastic piping to seal joints. Says he bought it from us years ago. Uses water to mix. Claims it was similar to joining lead piping. I never heard of such a thing. He did not know the name or brand of material.

Anybody familiar with this stuff?

Last edited by Norm201; 05-17-17 at 05:29 AM.
Old 05-17-17, 05:10 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 28,131
Received 2,261 Upvotes on 2,014 Posts
I have heard of something like that used on the lead came for stained glass windows. It seals up the tiny spaces to stop drafts and water from coming through the window. Even then it's made with a modern material or old school is linseed oil and some powder like talk. Big difference though between a window and pressurized piping.
Old 05-20-17, 01:09 AM
steve_gro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 967
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Lead piping was wiped together. Nothing that mixed with water that I can think of was ever involved. But for no good reason, you reminded me of some stuff called X-pando, which did mix with water. I think I may have used it twice, and it did work.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: