Gas range installation on 1/2 inch line

Old 05-31-17, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas range installation on 1/2 inch line

I've read a few posts about the subject line and while I think I know the answer, I'd like to ask as my current configuration of the gas line in the house may be sufficient for what I want to do.

I've called the gas company and they visited and stated that the meter is rated to supply enough volume for a gas range. Currently the house has two gas fired HVAC units, a gas water heater, and a gas fireplace. So the confirmation from the gas company was a positive indicator that I can add a gas range.

The issue I'm facing is that the place where I want to run the gas line for the range would come from the hot water heater. Unfortunately the line to the gas water heater is a 1/2 inch line. Which is where my question may be answered with a solid "No".

The line from the meter into the house is a 1 1/4" OD line. It then goes into the attic (house is built on a slab) where the line is reduced down to 3/4 inch ID pipe. The 3/4 inch lines are then reduced down to 1/2" ID pipe for each gas fired appliance.

The line in the attic that leads to the water heater is 3/4" but then it is reduced down to a 1/2 " line where it goes 17 feet down an interior wall and then connects to the water heater.

The distance from the water heater to where the range would go is 8 feet. However the issue is that the line is 1/2". I've read the gas line sizing charts and it seems that, if possible, a gas range would be right at the limit of what a 1/2 " line could supply.

The water heater is 40k BTU and a range would be in the 70-75k BTU scope.

Based upon this information, is it possible to Tee off the 1/2" water heater gas line and run a 1/2" line to the range?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-17, 03:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why didn't you ask the gas company when they were there?

Old 06-01-17, 04:47 PM
Gas piping is low pressure and has to be sized as a system. You can search youtube for 'gas pipe sizing' and find many results.

You /can/ wing it & hope for the best -- it might even work.

Old 06-01-17, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Running a new " line from the meter would be best. Second would be from where the pipe goes from 1" to ". Third would be from where the water heater goes from " to " but that is a non pro opinion. Wait for the pros.

Old 06-01-17, 08:18 PM
When the gas company was here they said the house could support it, but then told me they could dig a line from the meter over to where the stove would be. The cost was estimated at 150 bucks per foot. The distance is at least 50-60 feet. The guy didn't go into the attic to see how things were plumbed since he said the gas company only does work outside the house.

The advice the gas company gave was to get a contractor who would be able to run the line from inside the house. I had two contractors out who looked where the water heater was and said they would just tap into that.

So I got curious and started poking around to see if the water heater line could really support a range. I had my suspicions about it and when I found it was 1/2 inch line I kind of knew a contractor might try to tell me it was sufficient. It would be a pretty labor intensive job and where I am, new construction is what contractors focus on rather than remodels since there is more money to be made in new homes.

I was mostly doing some legwork and homework so that the next time a contractor comes in I would know if I was dealing with a pro or not. My instinct was telling me that a 1/2 inch line is probably one of those "pray it is enough" situations.

The more I've read and the more I think about it, the proper way to do this would be to remove the 1/2 inch line and run, at the very least, a 3/4 inch line. But then the question about distance from the meter comes into play.

It might be that I have to either run the line as the gas company suggested or resign myself that a gas range isn't workable. As everyone can imagine, I'm not trying to endanger myself or family.

Old 06-02-17, 06:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Running a new " line from the meter would be best.
I agree & it might even be code.

Old 06-02-17, 09:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
As Steve mentioned, you really need to sketch out the whole gas piping system and determine BTUs in each leg to determine what's actually needed. If you provide a sketch of the current piping, with sizes and distances, the fine folks here can help you figure it out.

Looking quickly at a gas pipe sizing chart:
Natural Gas - Pipe Sizing

1/2" pipe at 20' provides 85k BTUs, just enough to run the stove, and much less than both the stove and water heater. So, the answer to your initial answer is nope, can't do it!