How do I upgrade/change outside faucet spigots?

Old 06-03-17, 12:45 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 821
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How do I upgrade/change outside faucet spigots?

Hi. I have two outdoor spigots (where you hook up a hose) on small house. One is on the front and one on the back. They're getting rather old and leaky and this is a 1971 house.

Is there a way to change these? Or at least change out the washers or gaskets in them so they close with less pressure and don't leak as much. How do you install new ones?

How do you shut the water? Do you have to bleed air and stuff, etc?

Should I just get a plumber to do it ?
Old 06-03-17, 03:51 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 26,295
Received 1,843 Upvotes on 1,650 Posts
Easiest is to simply replace the washers in your existing spigots and it's a very easy DIY job. How you turn off the water depends on your water source. Are you on a well or city water?
Old 06-03-17, 03:51 AM
Marq1's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA MI
Posts: 9,460
Received 1,138 Upvotes on 1,032 Posts
Bet you have old non-freeze proof style fixtures.

While you could take the old ones apart and replace the seal pack/glands you could replace with newer.

Replacing new would mean cutting out the old ones from the copper plumbing and re soldering, not to mention whatever work would be needed to install.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  9.1 KB
Old 06-03-17, 09:15 PM
steve_gro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 967
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There are times when it's a good idea to call a plumber. You can watch him work and decide if you want to try these kind of things yourself or not.

BTW, I'm not trying to make work for plumbers. I don't know if you have the skills or desire to get them.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: