Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

PVC snapped coming out of my Well Tank - No water in house right now - Plz help!

PVC snapped coming out of my Well Tank - No water in house right now - Plz help!

Old 06-08-17, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi experts,

Last night something fell on this small piece of PVC coming out of my Well Tank in the cellar. The PVC snapped in half. It snapped (luckily) right after the main shutoff so i was able to stop the water, but now i have no water in house.

What is this thing? Can i just take the pieces to Home Depot or whatever and rebuild it? The PVC is threaded on both ends into the copper piping.

Thank you!
Mark

Name:  20170608_090433_resized.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  20170608_090451_resized.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  13.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-17, 07:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Take the broken pieces to HD or hardware store. You will need a union and a thread to slip coupler and a small piece of PVC pipe. Probably less than 10$. PVC glue also. Get small can as it goes bad if not used. Take th whole union off as dough you cam match old one.

Old 06-08-17, 07:49 AM
thank you pugsi,
i was thinking that was the best option but, i did not know how it would thread on at both ends. I guess that is the "Slip Coupler" you are referencing? Hopefully the guy working at HD today knows his stuff!

T

Old 06-08-17, 07:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
All common fittings should be no problem.

Old 06-08-17, 08:03 AM
Thank you Sir..........this was, obviously, a huge event for me but, you are making it seem not so bad. Hoping its just a simple rebuild and slide the pieces together with glue to make permanent again.

THANK YOU !!

Old 06-08-17, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The big ring on the union unscrews, separating it into two halves. So you can glue up each side leisurely and then make the final connection by tightening the large ring on the union. The ring is a separate piece, so make sure to have it slipped over the pipe before you do the assembly. DAMHIKT

On glued PVC joints, it's a good idea to let them set an hour or so before turning on the water pressure to make sure the glued joint has completely hardened.

Old 06-08-17, 11:42 AM
Cut all that out and get some 3/4" copper couplings and 3/4" copper pipe or do it with shark bites. I would solder it but i am a plumber. If you are not comfortable with solder than shark bite. I see no reason for that cpvc to be there.

Old 06-10-17, 08:10 PM
I second ct-18's comment. Screwing copper into PVC isn't a good idea in the first place -- copper expands more than PVC does. PVC males into copper females would be preferable.

Copper & sharkbites should be very easy and a better repair. Ream the copper before installing it.