Need help, don't know what it is!

Old 06-14-17, 03:59 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help, don't know what it is!


New homeowner, i can not understand what is this for:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  47.3 KB

So it's in my garage, on the wall. The kitchen is on the other side of the wall.

Two pipes. One pipe is a water pipe, the valve is closed. when i open it, water runs. The other one should be water, but i am not 100% sure .
And this big elbow pipe that i don't know where it s going!

If you have have any ideas, i would be very happy!

Thank you!


Last edited by ray2047; 06-14-17 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Rotate and seperate images.
Old 06-14-17, 04:17 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4,463
Received 129 Upvotes on 114 Posts
Should have been asked and answered before you bought the home.
Is there a water softener on the backside of that wall?
Any real on site plumber should be able to tell what all those lines do.
Any time I buy a home and see old steel pipes and gate valves I deduct the cost to replace off the selling price.
Old 06-14-17, 04:34 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi, thank for the answer!

I have the home inspection report on my desk, and unfortunately, nothing about it, just a picture, and a "OK" sign with it. Nothing that tell me what it is.
I'm guessing that all the pipe comes from and goes under ground. no water softener on the other side of the wall.
can not access underground.
I guess i ll call a plumber. Was just checking on this forum for any clues!

thanks again for your response.

if anybody else has an idea, i ll take it
Old 06-14-17, 05:32 PM
pugsl's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 8,161
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Looks like a butchered Washing machine hook up. If it is needs to torn out and put in right.
Old 06-14-17, 05:35 PM
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North East Kingdom of Vermont
Posts: 2,195
Upvotes: 0
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I'd give the Building Inspector a call and ask if he recollects the photo and his comment that it was "okay". You paid him; he should be willing to answer your questions.
Old 06-15-17, 01:00 AM
steve_gro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 967
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It hurts just to look at it.
Old 06-15-17, 08:09 AM
Handyone's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,807
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree it looks like a washer standpipe.
The hose going into the top was probably shoved in there in case the hose ever leaked, or as a trap primer.
Old 06-15-17, 01:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,139
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
I'd agree, something washing machine related.

I would leave it as-is until you need a washer. I would get a Fernco cap and put it on the pipe so you don't have to worry about sewer gas or anything like that.

Attached Images  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: