Commode won't fill

Old 06-30-17, 01:23 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Commode won't fill

My daughters commode wouldn't flush the other day,I checked it out and realized the tank was empty,for some reason it dawned on me I had the water faucet running on that side the house right behind her commode,I turned outside water off and the commode began to fill again,turned outside water back on and it completely stopped again,any idea what's going on

Old 06-30-17, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,615 Votes on 1,487 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It would appear you have a pressure issue.

The toilet needs a certain amount of pressure for the valve to open. If you have an unrestricted flow outside there is nothing left to open the toilet valve.

Is this old plumbing.... for example iron pipe ?

Old 06-30-17, 02:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 972 Votes on 893 Posts
If the house is old and especially if it has galvanized piping the interior of the pipes may have corroded down severely restricting flow.

Old 07-01-17, 08:17 AM
D
House is about 15 years old,first time we have ever noticed this being a problem.I believe the outfit faucet is putting out about 50-55 psi

Old 07-01-17, 11:26 AM
X
I would replace the pipe coming from the wall along with the shutoff valve connected to it and the connection hose to the commode's fill valve. If it is a galvanized pipe, then I would definitely replace it especially if the house has a water softener or ever had a water softener.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: