main water valves leaking around valve stem.

Old 07-03-17, 06:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
main water valves leaking around valve stem.

So I've got a couple valves that I gather are shut off valves for the two branches of the water supply plus a nipple for a hose in a nook just on my side of the property line. 2 of the 3 valves are leaking from around the valve stem, it used to be just a trickle which I've been ignoring for months but has now become quite a bit more than the trickle. Is there anyway to fix these leaks without having to call the utility to come shut of the water from their end?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-17, 06:49 AM
Pic taken 3 months ago (leaking is much worse now):

[img]https://preview.*******/iN2bFF/IMG_2762.jpg[/img]

I believe that this (or something quite similar) is the valve:

Old 07-03-17, 06:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
There is a packing nut at the bottom of the stem. Did you tighten it?

Old 07-03-17, 06:54 AM
Shorty long, which part is the packing nut, the part with hexagonal sides underneath the handle?

Old 07-03-17, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 162 Votes on 152 Posts
Yes, the hex underneath the handle/knob is the packing nut. If you tighten it it will squeeze the packing tighter around the knob stem to stop the leaking.

If that does not stop the leaking turn the water off at the meter. Remove the packing nut and replace the packing material underneath the nut. Then re-install the packing nut and tighten.

Old 07-03-17, 10:25 AM
Received 18 Votes on 15 Posts
The valve that Esand1 pictured does not have a conventional packing nut so he has nothing to tighten nor to remove in order to re-pack. Instead, it needs to have the water supply turned off (by the utility) and the "bonnet" nut removed. Once removed there will be a preformed packing either on the stem or inside the bonnet that will need to be replaced, IF, he can find the preformed packing unit.

I detest those valves.

Old 07-03-17, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 240 Posts
That is an odd place to put main shutoff valves. Looks like a blast working on them.

Old 07-03-17, 12:59 PM
Furd. The valve in the picture is from the same manufacturer as mine and is currently for sale so hopefully they have parts.

I don't have a metered connection, compare small cast iron service cover to larger plastic one belonging to my neighbor. Hypothetically if someone walking down the street were to lift that cover would they just see a shutoff valve?

Pj max the plumbing plans I optained which were submitted for the construction of my house in 1990 list the section from those valves to the street as "iron 1/2 (existing)" so I suspect inertia had something to do with the location choice.