Shower drain pipe

Old 07-19-17, 08:45 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower drain pipe

What would you do with this pipe situation? I'm re tiling the shower floor, so I pulled up the old tiles which were laid over some even older tiles. I also pulled off the square chrome drain frame and the round drain strainer. Not sure what to do with this pipe situation. It looks like maybe there's a 3" wide (by about 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" tall) attachment to the 2" drain pipe below? Perhaps I should try to yank it out and replace it? Or should I just use grout to stick the old drain frame and strainer on there?
Name:  pipe.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  48.1 KB

Old 07-20-17, 04:41 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Study up on how shower drain bodies are built. It is actually a drain within a drain so that the shower pan which lays underneath the mudbed can channel water to an inner drain body and safely down the drain pipe. There is no "pulling out" of this one, it would entail removing the mudbed and old lead shower pan and the first 6 to 12 inches of tile going up the walls. Then you would install a new drain body, and a preslope mudbed set in wire lath, You then install a new pan liner on top of the preslope ad give it a flood test to make sure it doesn't leak. Then you install a mudbed on top of the pan liner and eventually your new tile.

Here is a good tutorial and walk through of the whole process. How to Create a Shower Floor – Part 1

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: