What to do with this pipe in the floor before filling hole?

Old 09-10-17, 06:08 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What to do with this pipe in the floor before filling hole?

I would like to fill a hole in my basement floor with concrete in order to prevent ground water from running up through the hole when we get heavy rains. My house sits at the bottom of a hill so when it rains heavily this hole fills with water even though my sump pump is keeping up on the other side of the basement.

Here is the hole in question:

http://i.imgur.com/nRPQIRa.jpg

Here is a close up of the hole:

http://i.imgur.com/UWtsV7M.jpg

This is 180 degrees from the hole:

http://i.imgur.com/Fu4tL6p.jpg

The orange cap on the PVC pipe slips on and off easily. I can't tell where the pipe goes but I'm guessing it connects to that larger pipe there against the wall. In any case, we don't plan on doing anything with the plumbing fixtures in the basement any time soon so our greater concern is preventing water leakage. We have been in the house for three years and the only time water leaks out of the hole is during extremely heavy rains so it is not common but we want to put a little entertainment area in the basement and don't want our furniture getting wet.

So my question is: Before I fill up the hole I would like to bring the pipe above the floor. Can I just use a 90 degree joint or should I dig down a little farther and use a P-trap? Are there any other things I should take into consideration prior to filling with concrete?

Old 09-10-17, 07:01 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I would have to see a much larger area to be certain but I am almost sure that you have rough-in plumbing for a bathroom there. If the pipe in the hole is 2 inch nominal it is for a shower and if it is 1-1/2 inch nominal it is for a tub.

Why would you want to bring the horizontal pipe under the floor to the surface? If you may want to install the tub or shower at some future date you will need the hole to allow for the drain trap and adjustment to the finished tub or shower. If you have no plans to ever install a tub/shower then you can solvent-cement a proper cap on the pipe and simply fill in the hole with concrete. If you want a floor drain then you need to first install a proper trap.

Old 09-10-17, 07:09 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not really a fan of sump pumps if the water can be redirected from outside the house. However, in your case, a second sump pump in the hole might be an option.

Old 09-10-17, 09:09 AM
M
I want to fill that hole with concrete so that it won't leak water when it rains. I just want to know what the best thing to do with the pipe for right now is so down the road when we decide to make a bathroom there it'll be easiest to access the pipe.

Old 09-10-17, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
It doesn't matter what you do with the pipe. Just glue a cap on.
The issue in the future is the concrete will need to be jack hammered out.

Make measurements to keep with the pictures of the hole so you'll know where and how to reopen the hole.

Old 09-13-17, 09:42 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I would:
1) Replace that orange cap with a rubber cap with hose clamp (so it's on securely)
2) Wrap some foam or fiberglass insulation around the pipe to 'protect' it from the concrete
3) Take a few pictures and measurements (as Pete said) - someone at some point will want to open it up and put a tub/shower there
3) Fill in the hole with concrete.

The insulation around the pipe will protect the pipe a bit if/when the concrete is chipped out since it won't be directly against the pipe.

But with all of this remember that concrete is not waterproof. If water is coming up through the floor through that hole, it's likely to come up through the concrete eventually too in the form of moisture or actual wetness. You should make sure that rain is being diverted away from your foundation, especially if you're finishing the basement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: