Double San Tee on kitchen sink drain

Old 09-11-17, 02:13 PM
K
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Double San Tee on kitchen sink drain

Is there any reason I can not install a double san tee on a kitchen sink drain line?

The idea is to use the second half of the San Tee as a clean out along the horizontal line.

I have a 2 inch vertical that runs to the roof and vents, with 2 kitchen sinks that drain in to it with a san tee.

thanks,

Attached Images  

Last edited by ray2047; 09-11-17 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Rotate image.
Old 09-13-17, 09:46 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
You can do basically whatever you want with a cleanout. A tee, sanitary tee, or wye is fine.

But is that existing or are you repiping it? The wet vent you've created by stacking two sinks is not allowed. They need to be vented separately. Are they two kitchens on 2 floors? Or am I visualizing it wrong?

Old 09-13-17, 05:42 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I believe it may be legal if the pipe below the top T is 3" and the T's are within 6 vertical feet of each other.

Old 09-13-17, 08:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
I would interject that many kitchen sink traps can double as a cleanout. A slip joint p-trap easily comes apart so a cleanout would be redundant unless there is more than one 90 before the main drain line. (Section 890.430 - cleanout equivalent). If the trap is glued and has no cleanout, then a clean out may be needed. And some DWV and Schedule 40 traps have integral trap cleanouts.

Since you are in Canada and we are in US, the codes may be different.

Old 09-14-17, 09:06 AM
K
Thank you for the replies.

The drains that are there now were installed by the kitchen installer.
It is a 1 1/2" ABS that is within the legal limit in Canada for wet venting (6' is the limit here and the horizontal run is 5 feet).
To vent at the P Trap is impossible the way the house was built in 1946.

There are two identical kitchen setups one above the other.

I have P Traps that can be unscrewed and the drain fished, but I bought a small drain jetter because we get a greenish film that builds up inside all the drain pipes and the chemical drain build up removers do nothing to clear it.

I will post some pictures after work. I have never seen anything like it.

Old 09-16-17, 07:33 AM
K
Sorry for the slightly out of focus iphone pictures.

There is a film, about an 1/8 of an inch thick, that has formed inside the kitchen drain pipes.
These pipes are only 4 years old. They are taken through a cleanout on the vertical run in between the first and second floor kitchens.

The "after" picture is after running the drain jetter down the line twice, so my plan is to just run the jetter every two or three years as maintenance. The double SanTee would make it a really easy job to tackle.

Attached Images   

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: