Washing machine drain too small?!?

Old 09-30-17, 11:23 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washing machine drain too small?!?

Im renting a home and my landlord lives on the other side of the country. We were in agreement that all minor repairs would be done by us as the tenants and he would reimburse us if they were necessary repairs. However when we afreed upon that my father was gling to help with repairs and he passed away suddenly a few months back. So now im trying to fix the problem myself. I can be handy when need be but never having dine anyghing with plumbing would like some help.
My laundry room is in one room while all the drains and water hook ups are behind the wall in the bathroom closet. I believe the drain is a stand pipe. But not like ive ever seen before. Conneected to the actual drain are pvc pipe that runs straight up then curves down and back up. That is connected to a small (about a 1/2") L shaped pvc pipe that comes theough a small hole in the wall. How is my washimg machine drain supposed to connect to this?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-17, 01:46 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The up & down curve is called a trap & it belongs there. The pipe above it is bigger than a 1/2 ". It seems a little high but that could be the pic. So what's the problem? Is it clogged? You can unscrew the trap to see what's in it.

Old 09-30-17, 02:02 PM
M
I remeasured just to be sure. It is 1". And from what we have read online that is too small for the water to properly drain through
and the drain from pur washer is the same size as it so im not sure how to connect my drain.

Attached Images  
Old 09-30-17, 02:11 PM
M
When I asked someone at Lowes for help they told me to ise this [photo] like so [photo]. But the weight of the water just pulled the thing over and water went everywhere. Im wondering if we use a longer pupe and secure it to the wall if that would work. But I am definitlwy no plumber. So im not sure if that would work at all.

Attached Images   
Old 09-30-17, 03:28 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You need to replace the existing pipe with 2" PVC all the way to the first 2" are larger drain pipe. You will need the trap and you may need to add a vent.

Old 09-30-17, 03:35 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Now I can see the 1/2" pipe. Yes, replace it.

Old 09-30-17, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 914 Votes on 854 Posts
Name:  drain.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  36.5 KBYes.... a reduced line at the bottom is a major bottleneck.

Last edited by PJmax; 09-30-17 at 11:33 PM.