Looking for the right bathroom sink drain

Old 10-08-17, 09:27 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Looking for the right bathroom sink drain

I'm having a hard time finding the right drain for our bathroom sink. I need to find on that has an all-metal, sturdy body so I can tighten it down really well, that's pop-up style using a lift rod (not the... clicky-pen(?) type), has a really good lower rubber gasket, no overflow, and that's reasonably priced. Only option I've found was $230 from Kohler, which is about 10x typical.
Any help would be appreciated!

Background...
Our bathroom sink recently clogged. While investigating the clog, I discovered it was leaking, while evaluating the leak, I discovered the 60-year-old galvanized steel pipe threads were so rusted that they were crumbling, making it impossible to seal. I've replaced all of the galvy from the drain on down with ABS, and used a no-hub to tie back into the existing vent. Got the vanity back in place, got the sink drain connected back up to the new drain line, and the drain itself was dripping. Had to cut that drain out, replaced it with a new one, and that one leaked even worse (and was plastic, so I couldn't tighten it enough to keep it from leaking... never again).

Old 10-08-17, 09:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 990 Votes on 901 Posts
Old 10-08-17, 11:05 AM
I would recommend a push-pull pop up like X linked to, the rod type without overflow will be hard to find. Moen sells quality push types separately.
No matter plastic, brass or the quality, pop ups can and will leak. To prevent leaks:

Back down the nut and mack washer as far as possible. Place a bead of putty under the flange and screw the flange on.
Coat the male threads where the washer and nut will sit with Teflon paste.
Tighten the nut to secure the basin/mack washer, it doesn't need to be very tight, just snug it up and maybe 1 to 2 turns, check for leaks.
Basically you need a coat of paste between the inside diameter of the rubber washer and the outside diameter of the drain body.

For metal 1.25" tailpieces, also coat the threads where the tailpiece screws into the upper pop up cast body. Plastic is all one piece.

Attached Images  
Old 10-08-17, 12:00 PM
M
Hey, thank you both for your replies! I'm concerned that the push-pull type pop up will clog more frequently that the lift rod style, will be harder to clean, and will drain slower even brand new. Are my concerns unfounded?

Bottom line, I'm not unwilling to use the push-pop stye (yes, I called it that) and leave the rod loose in the faucet, I just want to make sure I'm getting a well-designed product and won't have issues with it. This is a bathroom that will be used for daily prep (shaving, make-up, hair, et cetera), so is likely to clog if given the opportunity. Do you think that the Keeney product is a good option for this?

Also, thank you, Brian, for the explanation; I'll definitely use teflon paste between the rubber washer and the basin, and along the threads. I'm guessing that will make it easier to tighten down, too.

Old 10-08-17, 03:28 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
The paste goes on the threads to prevent leaks on the metal nut, not the rubber washer/gasket.

Stop by a plumbing supply house, they will have affordable pop up drain bodies. I also refuse to use the plastic ones and always upgrade to the brass ones. Any drain body has the potential o clog, I would not loose too much sleep over what may happen in the future. Hair is the biggest culprit, If like in my house, just let the wife know not to let her hair go down the drain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: