Hot water heater inlet weeping

Old 05-06-01, 10:04 AM
Visiting Guest
The inlet (cold water) is weeping from its tank fitting(the very first threaded coupling). The hot(out)side appears to be moist but not fluid yet. I'm thinking of draining the tank and teflon taping and reinstalling; perhaps (as long as hardware stores are still open) replacing the male fitting itself. Only other option is tank replacement (it's 12 to 14 years old). Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-01, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try the tape 1st, tape is cheaper then a new heater.

Old 05-06-01, 10:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Wow! First at the speed of reply, second the statement of the obvious. I guess as with all things "needed" in the home, I'm afraid of getting into it and finding the fitting will not dislodge or snap; then will be without until a plumber can come and fix or replace. Ah well! I guess "Nothing ventured, nothing gained" really applies.

Old 05-06-01, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd say try this task on the weekday, just incase you do need a plumber, it will be cheaper then a weekend plumber.

Old 05-06-01, 10:26 AM
Visiting Guest
H/W heater - last from me

One other thing, a bit more general in nature.
The heater(Nat gas) has a powered vent. When we lose power, the pilot must be manually re lit. This is not the case with the gas furnace. I assume the same type of ignition can be had for the H2o heater? And your best guess (+ or - $50.00) to have the luxury of not having to re lite the heater's pilot?

I must say that having been computered since the Atari days, I have never run accross such a great forum for speed of replys. Kudos to you and the organization. And many thanks.