Drill concrete holes to finish anti-termite project

Old 10-18-17, 09:41 AM
B
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Drill concrete holes to finish anti-termite project

I have to drill some holes through one side of the garage floor concrete from water heater tank to utility sink in attached photo.
It's for completing a termite prevention project. My electric, CATV, and phone connect to boxes on outside wall of house. I assume those don't go under slab.

The lateral sewer clean out is under concrete step a few inches left of the bucket with the Lowe's logo at water tank cubby hole. Sink and water heater tank plumbing go into wall or ceiling. Hose bib outdoors is opposite garage sink.

Is any other plumbing or sewer vent likely to be under garage floor? I might just drill very shallow to be on the safe side. Won't be as effective for termite prevention

I know I alone am responsible for avoiding any underground plumbing lines. Somehow, I'll figure out a way to find out if anything else is under there.

Any thoughts on where I might drill holes...................through the elevated step, expansion joint below step, other?

Attached Images  
Old 10-18-17, 10:14 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it's absolutely necessary to drill holes, I wouldn't drill them in the slab not because I think that you'll hit any piping, just because I wouldn't want to compromise the slab. What reason were you given that holes in the concrete are necessary? I don't want to second guess the exterminator but it seems strange to me.

Old 10-18-17, 10:59 AM
B
I guess drilling the holes is the thorough, professional way to do termite prevention. But I'm not crazy about drilling holes either Donato. What do you mean when you say, "If it's absolutely necessary, I wouldn't drill them in the slab."

Where would you consider drilling in the garage then?

I might just skip this step altogether. Maybe it's not worth doing unless I have infestation? I'm willing to give it careful thought.

Old 10-18-17, 11:05 AM
B
Would drilling concrete holes weaken slab or pad?

I was planning on drilling holes in a few concrete pads and garage floor to finish a termite prevention project. Someone questioned whether it would undermine the structure integrity of the concrete. Would it? I would probably drill every 12 inches or so.

Old 10-18-17, 11:41 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 88 Posts
Threads merged since the topic didn't change.

Old 10-18-17, 12:29 PM
D
The reason that I said "if absolutely necessary" was to give the exterminator respect since that's not my expertise. Other than that, I don't think that it's a good idea at all. The slab looks like it's in great shape. I wouldn't touch it.

Old 10-18-17, 01:26 PM
B
Yes. Thanks for merging the two Stick.

Thanks D. Here's a thought. I was just looking at the seam where that step meets the rest of the garage floor. There is expansion board inserted there. What's under the expansion board? Earth or more concrete?

Old 10-18-17, 02:03 PM
D
If the expansion joint is on edge like the others, I would say concrete.

Old 10-18-17, 06:52 PM
B
Ok. Maybe I'll probe one of those joints.

Old 11-19-17, 01:50 PM
B
I tried to do the concrete hole drilling today. I used a concrete drill bit. It's not working out. I am using a 7 amp Skil hammer drill rated at 3000 rpm/51,000 bpm. The progress was slow enough that I had to abandon the task for now.

Is my drill simply not powerful enough?

Old 11-19-17, 04:11 PM
D
You may be able to rent a stronger drill. However, I don't recommend any drilling. I don't think that it's needed.

Old 11-19-17, 09:02 PM
B
I would have to rent a rotary hammer drill at Home Depot. My hammer drill apparently is not high enough quality to be up to the task. Donato, you seem dead set against drilling. I was told that it shouldn't affect the structural integrity of the concrete. Have you seen adverse effects from drilling? I'd like to know because I always value everyone's input.

Old 11-20-17, 05:40 AM
D
Even though I can't point to a particular incident, drilling has to weaken it the same way joists are weakened when plumbers cut them to run pipes. It may not weaken it to a point of total destruction but I can't see how it helps at all since the termites aren't in the concrete. Can the holes attract other insects? What's the status of the termites since your first post? Are they gone?

Old 11-20-17, 10:22 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 206 Votes on 184 Posts
I will confirm that around here it's standard practice to not only treat the exterior perimeter and drill any hardscaping that's in the way, but also treat interior separating walls. For example, in a twin (two houses connected together), the pest person was planning on drilling in the basement along the separating wall between the two houses.

I still don't quite understand the reasoning... termites (as far as I know) aren't 8' underground and won't be coming to the house that way... but I'm certainly not an expert. If it were my house, I'd probably forego that part of the treatment and just keep an eye out (as you should anyway)

Old 11-20-17, 12:34 PM
B
Yes I am also told by multiple sources that you have to treat the entire perimeter of house including concrete pads. The theory is that this increases the chance of termites passing through chemical when they make their regular forays into the house looking for cellulose. I read that termite colonies can be very large and 20 ft. underground.

I have not seen any other termite signs. But they could be entering through the interior of the house somewhere.

Other insects can't enter the drill holes since the holes are supposed to be capped or filled in. A realtor told me a complete termite treatment with visible filled in concrete holes is a selling point for buyers.

I read that concrete drilling could cause cracking if you use wrong equipment and technique. I would welcome any additional feedback on this.

Old 11-20-17, 01:14 PM
D
I imagine that cracking could happen since you are using a hammer drill. Did you ever see when a pipe is being replaced under the street, two lines that look like railroad tracks are cut first? That's because when it's hit with a steam hammer, it can't crack beyond the cuts. Most people aren't going to saw cut for such a small section but that's the idea behind it.

I would wait a year to see if the termites return. If they don't forget about drilling.

Old 11-20-17, 03:24 PM
B
Strangely enough, it said that using a hammer drill would prevent cracking. You have to use a hammer drill or rotary hammer drill. Regular drill wouldn't work. I would feel comfortable waiting. Maybe not a whole year though.

Old 11-21-17, 05:21 AM
D
I don't see how a regular drill would cause cracking. I would think that the hammering would cause it. It's your choice on how long you want to wait.

Old 11-21-17, 01:36 PM
B
Ok. Thanks D. and Zorftd..........

Old 12-04-17, 11:44 AM
B
Let's consider this discussion closed to make sure this doesn't take up anyone's time. When I decide to drill, I'll know what to do. Thanks, everyone.

Old 05-20-18, 09:55 PM
B
Finally went ahead with the drilling.

I rented a big 14 amp rotary hammer to drill the holes in the concrete slabs, and filled the holes with termiticide. Then I capped the holes with Trebor plugs. Completely finished today.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: